WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories

Go down 
+24
barn2648
dutch
Steppin and Fetchin
Mister
Razor
Coco
sowega
Black Fantasy 1
thirdworkout
ONEHOTMARE
rhigbe
rooster
Old Graymare
Hill
scooter
twhboss
The Man in Black
Bubbadog
senator69
Jean
sensation61
MirallyMeadows
smitty
High Chaparral
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 am

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 CelebrationPersonalities
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Phones   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Remember that row of Pay phones at the barn office next to the facilites. Big message board. Pages to the barn office every five minutes. Did not need a alarm clock back in the day when we stayed on the grounds. The page system worked great. People could not survive today without cell phones!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Lord how we used to abuse that paging system when we were "children" - We thought that it was so funny to have them page fictitious people to meet other fictitious people at real barns.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Oh, my...had forgotten the barn office paging....LOL
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:49 pm

I remember always going to the barn office in the morning to see the judges cards. Had to wait a month or so til the Voice came out to see the cards for the big stake.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Come up   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 10:00 pm

Remember when they used to back the championship contenders off and get a good running shoot into the ring. They would hit the ring a flying. One trainer at that time said he threw all four shoes by the time he got to the gate!!!!!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 am

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 CelebrationRingSouthEnd

The South end
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Shelbyville

WORLD CHAMPION..........would you believe I went here just to look around and SMELL the smells????
No, I wasn't bored..........just a horse nut.

THE DUCK........there's a bridge east of town over on the right I think. There's a little pull-off by the bridge and a path down to the water. Good place to go drink beer when you're young and the moon is full...

BUCK'S DISCO...........seems not a lot of you have heard of this place. I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't a dream. One of our most memorable nights ever was spent dancing here. It was like being on Soul Train.

POPE'S was a spiritual eating experience. One of the very best reasons to ever venture down to Shelbyville. I still recall every detail about it. I used to dream about their pie.

I recall MANY afternoons spent at THE PARTHENON eating pizza with friends. There was usually a big bunch of us and they usually had to put 4 or 5 tables together to accomodate all of us. I'm sure they were glad to see us leave. We were very loud and usually stayed and talked for an hour or so after we ate.

I recall going to a big ARCADE back in the eighties on the corner of Madison & N. Evans Street in Shelbyville. I think this might be the building for Horse Mtn. Distributors now, but I'm not sure. Used to stop in there and shoot a little pool and play air hockey back in the day. Also played pinball (8 Ball Deluxe) and played video games such as Pac Man & Donkey Kong & the like.

GOOD TIMES
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 3:31 pm

Smitty I crossed the mighty Duck twice yesterday and drove down Floyd Carothers highway today. Nostalgic!
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Mose Oppenhimer   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 pm

One of my Celebration memories was knowing Mose Oppenhimer. I hope I spelled his name correctly. I had the barn across the road from him for a few years. Eddie Martin was in the barn with me. Mose would bring them Coonhounds and they would cut a shin!!!!!! We all would ride after the show was over,sometimes to the wee hours in the morning. I always called that area of barns,the poor boy section. We all would do some serious training after the show and tell a lot of stories. Great memories for me.
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Mose gave me my first --- and last ---- taste of Kentucky moonshine.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: First and last   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 am

Bubbadog wrote:
Mose gave me my first --- and last ---- taste of Kentucky moonshine.
Pretty good wasn't it?????????
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 7:01 am

Purty good stuff until about 5 seconds passed............then you got the BURN !!!!!

pale
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 am

POTENT was more like it - it was at a party out at the VFW about a million years ago. It had such a profound affect on me that I never touched "shine" again.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 59278_1403645261693_1549210929_31003445_6694128_n
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 6:44 pm

I knew more than one trainer who used to carry a pint in their boot.
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: celebration memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Back in the day we all had a drink close at hand .I think it kept us goin.No matter what some people say 'Horse Trainin' ain't for the faint of heart.Seems like there is always some vices for some when your a trainer.Bad thing is now a days the vices are much more expensive and more addicting.
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Bubbadog wrote:
POTENT was more like it - it was at a party out at the VFW about a million years ago. It had such a profound affect on me that I never touched "shine" again.
The trick with shine is to take it straight. No chaser or mixing> If you chase it, use water. Mixing or chasing with anything else could start a chemical reaction and a person might just blow up.
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 12:48 pm

OH it was STRIAGHT - right out of the jar!
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 pm

I remember most of these wonderful memories and must admit I even visited Mose as well...of course that wasn't much new to me being from Wilkes County NC; "The Moonshine Capital of the World" and with Junior Johnson being my godfather. I'd sampled all kinds of moonshine...there was the rank Sugarhead which was the cheapest moonshine the bootleggers could make...once this stuff hit the back of your throat you'd go to shakin' your head and flappin' those jaws! Then there was the Corn Liquor` which would go down a little smoother but it could still curl your toes and have you whistlin' a tune. There were all grades of this Moonshine` some better than others...some of it would literally put you in the hospital (or possibly 6 feet under!!). Then there was those premium quart Mason jars of Brandy...to be more exact Wilkes was known for it's Apple Brandy...a real treasure!! When you unscrewed that canning ring and lifted that lid you would almost be knocked off your feet by the intoxicating aroma of apples` then as you drank the slow burn went down as smoothly as any store bought you would ever find...it was liquid gold!! My Daddy brought those treasured mason jars by the case to give to special friends every Celebration...uh-oh would that make him a bootlegger?? Shocked I remember Vic Thompson wanted his on every holiday then he decided that breathing was an occasion as well so he wanted my Daddy just to keep them coming` lol. And if I am not mistaken Miss Cissy..you and I had a Mason jar that we took to the Celebration grounds one night`ya know so as not to leave our friends out of any new and exciting experience..possibly in '74?? This might be the reason we took the scenic route that night?? affraid

You think that moonshine and bootlegging is a thing of the past but check out this article. This happened in my hometown (county) a little less than 2 years ago...lol` and he says he was making cold medicine!! Yea..really 200 gallons of it in a 1000 pound still!!!

http://www2.eprisenow.com/news/2009/mar/03/authorities_blow_up_a_still_in_north_carolina-ar-521081/

Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Girl Coicktail hour went on 24/7 in those days - I remember those quart Mason jars - but your daddy didn't want us messing with them - remember? It did go down smoother than that Ky stuff that Mose gave me.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

You're so right...He didn't give it to us` someone Suspect sneaked around and took out of that box???? They're sure enough sneaky people around that place!! whistling
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 CelebrationThanks
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 am

So, so sad that it doesn't still look like that.
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this pix earlier...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories   Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Middle Tennessee/Celebration Memories
Page 2 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next