AuthorMessage
twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:47 pm

LOL!! Thanks MM. You are my new best friend!! Evil Grin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 pm

I guess this would fall under Versatility! This is my good friend Barbara (who helps me alot with my ponies!) and her baby, CG. CG is strong Merry Go Boy lines. This is his new trick! ( he is 3 yrs old)

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Horsegurl1

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Cool trick! How do you teach them to do that? I imagine it would take a lot of time, but I think it would be cool to teach a horse to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:05 am

It actually didn't take long to teach. You see where she is standing. She reached across his back and pulled the far rein so his head turned to his right, then as she was doing that she lifted his left leg bent at the knee and slightly back. He trusts her completely! As you apply pressure on the right rein you tell them to bow and when they get down you release the pressure on the rein (VERY IMPORTANT). They must have a release and you don't make them hold it very long at first. He is still learning so she still applies slight pressure, but he is so good. He would climb a tree if she asked!

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 pm

It appears we have a horse trick trainer amoung us as well!

Jean said.....

"Here is a pic of my champagne mini stallion Ridgehavens Champagne Prince on a pedestal doing his wave."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:43 pm

He is too cute!! 2 Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Jean said...

"Prince also bows and shakes hands. Brasfield Farms Skipper Boy ,walks on his hind feet, mounts pedestal with all four feet. bows, shows his "sore leg", jumps and is broke to a cart. My 6 month old orphan filly Special has learned to lay down.Now i have a hard time keeping her standing to trim feet. "
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Some talented and PATIENT ladies teaching these tricks! So very cute! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Back to top Go down
twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:52 pm

That made me nervous just watching it!!! rolly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:16 am

Tennessee Trail Ride

Here's some pics OHM sent in of a recent trail ride in Middle Tennessee. This looks like a lot of fun!
I'll let her narrate......

Last edited by smitty on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:27 am

Beautiful!! Looks like alot of fun! Cowboy Low Rider
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 am

OHM,
Thanks for sharing the pictures, they brought back old memories. I noticed that You were in some of them. Also recognized some others. The ride was obviouslly at Normandy Lake near Shelbyville Tn. Yall have some beautiful Spots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jean

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 am

Nice pictures and good friends to always remember. I love the one looking over the horses head across the lake. Tell us about the horse you are riding, .
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://LEESMINIMART.synthasite.com
sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:02 am

Did yall mini horse people see BoB Bafferts pony on one of the video's awhile back. He was playing with a huge beachball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:56 am

Shelia, looks like a good crowd of folks. Ya'll are lucky to have great places nearby and lots of folks who share in the fun...Saw a few that I recognised (little Amie, Roger, ?little Woody, Alie and Stephanie) and many I didn't. Always called them little vs big in reference to age, not size. Amie Marks grew up in Alabama as did Woody Woodruff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jean

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Sadlbum, i missed that video... I sold my orphan 6 mo old mini filly yesterday. She is going to CALIFORNIA. ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://LEESMINIMART.synthasite.com
smitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:55 pm

I am going to bet the farm that OHM's fav-O-rite color is PINK !!!!
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Jean,
To see Bafferts pony, google ClassyArabians go towards bottom & find leo has a ball & Click, scroll down a little to see video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:31 pm

OHM, great pictures!! Beautiful scenery!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:05 pm

That looks like a large time was had by all. Some fine looking fillies in that crowd, and some good looking hosses too! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Have spent many an hour riding with many of those in OHM pixs... Igot into some pretty rough ridin' back in the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Smitty,

Can I finish the narrating later? Got to be up at 4:30 am...Woodbury ride tomorrow. Also, a big one at Circle E Sat...not sure I can make both. Circle E is so far, I spend more time driving than ridin'...not to mention the diesel.

SB...Most were taken at Normandy. A few are from Woodbury (Tenpenny's) last Sat. I knew the faces were familiar to you & S61.

Jean...That's Ramseys gelding "Harry". He's by the late Hytone Beau SSHBEA , and out of a solid TWH. Harry has a full, identical sis named Betty. Their used mostly to work cattle, but they'll do about anything you ask. They have pulled a wagon as a team...but didn't really like it. Let's just say, we aren't ready to do parades. affraid

MIB & S61...Ya'll and everyone are welcome to ride anytime. Smitty would like Normandy...fish and ride!

Sorry bout the fuzzy photo's. I'm doing good to ride, let alone take pictures. Dropped the camera on the biggest Woodbury hill and had to hold up traffic until I could retrieve it. Wonder I didn't loose it in Normandy lake. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:47 am

OHM,
I have ridden at White Tenpenny's (Randy's Dad) alot. My Brother inlaw owns the place with a big pond at the bottom of a big hill, thats on Lynnwood Barrets ride (ridden it too). The 4 wheelers shore have cut that holler up, thats behind Tenpennies. Drove by Circle E on way to Ala couple weeks back, very near Walls of Jericho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:50 pm

A lot has changed in trail riding since I did it as a kid. This was back in the early 70s in southern Ky.

I don't remember seeing a lot of spotted horses, although I'm sure their were a few. The horse's were made up of many colors. Quite a few more "yeller" horses back then than I'm seein nowadays. Not all the horses were TWHs either. As a matter of fact, many of em didn't even have papers, although you could tell by their gait that TWH blood was in many of them. There were a few quarter horses and more than a few "rackers" as well. Many of the trail horses in those parts had a 4th gear to em........that was considered desirable back then. Southern Ky was "rackin" country as was most of the Cumberland Plateau. The majority of folks rode "english" style, although there was a fair amount of western saddles & bridles as well. You saw a few "Buena Vista" saddles also, but they were more rare. (My Dad owned one and it was my favorite). The dress code was about the same, although back then, some men preferred to ride without shirts if it was hot, or some simply unbuttoned their shirt and let the breeze cool them off. Overalls without shirts were often seen on some guys. You don't seem to see that nowadays. We rode mostly on gravel roads in rural scenic areas of the county and also in the Daniel Boone National Forest. Most ALL of the rural roads were gravel back in those days. It wasn't till the mid 70's that a newly elected Governor decided to blacktop all of em. Few folks ever talked about trail riding on dirt paths in the woods back then. There were not many (if any) horse trails developed at that time, and most folks would have thought it too strenuous to ride up and down steep hills. Besides, it would have been hard to do any drag racing on hills, and it wasn't uncommon to see two men testing their horse's speed agin one another. Most trail rides had anywhere from 50 to 100 horses taking part, but I have seen a few with 150 to 250 horses. A pickup truck full of ice and cold drinks always followed and at some halfways point, everyone would stop and cool off with a Nehi Grape or Orange, A Dr. Pepper or maybe even a Tiger Red. If any of you know the Zellers or the Smiths from Southern Ky..........they were part of our group.

One thing that probably hasn't changed, is that there were always a FEW who would sneak in a few Budweisers along the way!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   

Back to top Go down

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WHT Chat :: Walking Horse Trivia Board :: The Barn Office-
Jump to: