WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.

Go down 
+25
Mister
carol edwards
rooster
samara_farms
Ritz-A-Roo
scooter
Hill
rhinestone
Rambler
curbchain
Jean
Horsegurl1
MirallyMeadows
Old Graymare
Black Fantasy 1
senator69
The Man in Black
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
sensation61
Bubbadog
Everett
grits
twhboss
smitty
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 12:42 pm

It's nice to see HILL back in the saddle! Beautiful pics, and since I've never made it to NC trail ridin'...DETAILS, please!
Back to top Go down
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:22 pm

You look like you never got off the horse. Would like to see you in the big ring again. Always loved to see you ride.
Back to top Go down
http://LEESMINIMART.synthasite.com
rooster

rooster

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:33 pm

OHM, We went to a place called Leatherwood, it was VERY nice. They had about 4000 acres of mountain land with several beautiful rides, ( see more photos in the trail ride link) Leatherwood had very good stalls for our horses and many different choices for over night guest, you can rent a house or a small apt w/kitchenette like we did ($75) it was all we needed. They also had sanded turn out lots and good hot water wash racks for our use, there was also a restaurant in the clubhouse if you don't want to cook, we ate one meal there and it was good. We were very pleased with every thing at Leatherwood. The fall color was breath taking the week we were there. WE highly recommend going in Mid TO late Oct. If you need any other info let me know or just goggle Leatherwood NC. It's about 1 hour east of Boone NC. You want be disappointed if you go.

ROOSTER
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Like a Star @ heaven Earlier this week I watched a feature on Trail Riding at Leatherwood, N.C. on "Best of America by Horseback" on RFDTV. Looked like a wonderful place. Check your listings, they could show it again later this week or at a later date.

http://www.bestofamericabyhorseback.com/
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
rooster

rooster

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Smitty, that is the show Rhonda saw and got us interested in going to Leatherwood, it's a very nice place for horses and riders!!!

ROOSTER
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi Everyone...It's been awhile!! Rooster told me he was sending these pictures to Smitty and they would likely be on the board. This was as good a chance as any to get back and see what I've been missing. I sure have missed you guys!!

First of all let me tell you briefly whats been going on and why I haven't been here in such a long time. I've been sick, very sick, since June...to be perfectly honest I think it started sometime last winter because I wasn't feeling well even then. I've had a very stubborn case of H. Pylori, a bacterial infection in my stomach. I haven't been able to eat since July....well, not anything but beets, yogurt, and cottage chesse and sometimes not even that! I've been on 3 rounds of mega strong antibiotics, would get a little better, but then relapse. As luck would have it, when Rooster and Rhonda were at Leatherwood, I had just finished a round of antibiotics and was feeling better. I relapsed the next week. So, luckily their trip was perfect timing for me! I am, once again, feeling better and hoping that there will be no more relapses. Unfortunately, the infection or antibiotics or combination of the two has caused chronic gastritis to set up, so I still can't eat normally, but I am improving....it's just been very, very slow. On top of this, my computer died, so I was without a computer or internet access for practically the whole month of Nov. I'm back in business now though, thankfully!

This ride was the first time I had ridden a horse in 25/26 years! And I hadn't ridden a TWH in 36 years!! It felt like I had ridden last week....just as normal to me as walking!! I Loved It!!! I was riding Rhonda's new mare, Maci Mae...she is the real deal, pretty as a picture, so well-mannered, and a dream to ride!! I had so much FUN...I wish I could get on a horse's back every day......or just being able to groom one and hang out at a barn would be cool :) Leatherwood is in Wilkes County (NC), which is my home county, so I was very familiar with the area already but I had never ridden up there. I now live in Winston-Salem, about 1 1/2 hour drive from there. It really is beautiful!! It is in the Blue Ridge Mountains (right as you start up the mountain) and the scenery is gorgeous, especially the weekend we were there...the leaves were just beautiful!! I SO appreciate Rooster and Rhonda inviting me to join them, we had a wonderful weekend (did a little sight seeing too). It was SO wonderful to see Rooster again...I hadn't seen him in 37 years!! And to meet his wife, Rhonda, was something I had been looking forward to for a long time, we had talked online and by phone, but not met in person...she was every bit and more the sweet person I had thought she would be!! They are A#1 people for sure...None Better!! Rooster even grilled out his Famous Steaks for all of us, which included my son, Cagney and his wife, Alison....they drove up and joined us Fri night for the cookout...such Fun!! And Smitty, there is some good fishing up in this area as well. Cagney fly fishes and knows several good streams and I like to fish too, but I always walked the woods and found those streams that seem to flow out of the side of the mountain....lots of good native trout up in those mountains!! A Great Weekend, one of The Best!! I am Very Much hoping they come back again....Soon!!!

Thanks for all the nice comments!! So happy to be back!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Glad to have you back on here Hill! sunny Wonderful to see you back in the saddle after all these years and I hope you keep it up. It's good for you. I myself have not been on one in over 20 years or so, but I know if I ever do, I will be able to take right off just like it was yesterday. Some things you just don't ever forget how to do, and I've logged hundreds and hundreds of hours in the saddle in my earlier years.

Yes, I am aware of the fishing in that area. I am actually looking to take a trip to the New River, just north of that area in Virginia in the next year or so.
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Hill rides again   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 8:38 pm

So good to have you back on here Hill and really GREAT to see you back on a horse!!WELCOME BACK !!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:08 am

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 BlueRibbonAward-1

Lizzie & Pops

Our friend and member from South Georgia sent this one in. Wonderful photo! Sowega, feel free to elaborate.

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 LIZZIEPOPS

Last edited by smitty on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:31 am

That picture tell it's own story - happy child!
Back to top Go down
sowega

sowega

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:41 am

Smitty, Thanks for putting that in. That's my fourth grandchild, Elizabeth, almost 3 YOA. She "ride that horse"! We have five grand kids, the oldest is 7 and she started with Harley. They all seem to like the grooming and feeding and watering. Friends of ours have 13 minis and give us unlimited access if I just spend time with the horses so they are easy for kids to enjoy. Not a bad deal. My wife caught this shot as we strolled down the lane. I'm not sure who was enjoying it the most.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 8:17 am

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 BlueRibbonAward-1

OHM's Milky Way Farm Outing
Our friend OHM & her trusty horse "Harry" give us a tour of Milky Way Farm by horseback

(Part 1)

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1527

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1325

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1327
These homes are on land that use to be part of the original Milky Way Farms. The small specks, behind the front home are deer.

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1335

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1338

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1351
Front of the colt barn foundation

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1355
Colt barn foundation

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1365
Feeder cattle barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1371
Scale house for feeder steers (?)

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1372
Feeder barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1376
Either mill or shuck house (?)

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1381
Shorthorn cattle show barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1385
Inside the shorthorn cattle show barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1387
Interior of shorthorn cattle barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1394

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1400

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1404
Front of shorthorn cattle show barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1408
Headed towards 4 old horse barns that are falling down

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1412-1
One of the 4 horse barns

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1528
The former Mars home toured by OHM

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1532

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1538
The famous dining table that seats 40

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1548
Race horse barn foundation. OHM thinks it may have been destroyed by fire.

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1549
Hereford barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1555

Last edited by smitty on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:54 am

Enjoyed my tour OHM & Harry. Beautiful place
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 10:12 am

Two Questions:
1. Who owns it now?
2. Seems like I remember someone having a horse sale
At Milky Way for a while. Anybody remember?
Back to top Go down
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 11:05 am

They had sales in the 1960's .I have some catalogs from them . Loved the way they had a full pedigree of every horse. Magnasson had them.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 12:34 am

Ah, but the tour is not over just yet! Here's part 2:

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1563
Frank Mars mausoleum site

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1701
View from mausoleum site

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1711
Gate at mausoleum site

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1714
Harry enjoying the grass at the mausoleum site

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1717
Harry doesn't realize he's at a historic place

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1719
Harry wondering what he's doing in these rock remains

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1740
One of the sheep barns, I think...

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1743

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1753

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1758

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1763

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1771

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1777

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1784

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1786

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1790
Another sheep barn, I think...

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1810

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1813
I really should clip Harry's ears...

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1826

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1840

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1862
Stud barn foundation

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1876
Tack houses!

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture1981
Shoeing barn

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Picture18521
Ain't we sumptin in front of the "clubhouse"?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 9:52 am

Jean you should post some pages from the sales catalog.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:26 pm

OHM,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share those shots from Milky Way with us. I really enjoyed them and found them very interesting and also unique, since it was a historic tour on horseback. Your photography was very good and I awarded you the "coveted" WHT Blue Ribbon for your efforts. Good job once again!

thumbs up

Like a Star @ heaven Rooster & Sowega also received the coveted WHT Blue Ribbon this week for their recent contributions! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Smitty...It's an honor to receive the "coveted" WHT Blue Ribbon!

Razor...This will answer your question on the present owner. http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111218/WILLIAMSON01/312010120/Milky-Way-Farms-preserves-Mars-family-s-footprint-Middle-Tennessee

Jean..Glad you enjoyed the tour, and there's more to come. If your ever down this way, I'd be happy to take you...anytime except during The Celebration, please.

If your interested in learning more on the history of Milky Way Farms, and can locate this book, Milky Way Farms, A History By Johnny Phelps...please do!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 4:00 pm

What a nice trip. Love to hear the horses feet hitting the ground. I think I saw big foot in the trees!
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Hill, good to see you back on WHT and feeling better!

OHM, thanks for the beautiful pics, Harry is the perfect docent for Milky Way Farms! If you ever go back, let me know and I'll come running!
Charge!
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I met Harry after the Shelbyville Christmas parade - he just takes everything in stride.
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Mirally...I can certainly arrange a ride at Milky Way!

Rooster...I've heard good things about Leatherwood, and thanks for the info. Sounds like the Ritz-Carlton of horse campgrounds.
Back to top Go down
rooster

rooster

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 am

Great pictures OHM, I really enjoyed the tour. Now I'll show my ignorance.... where is Milky Way Farms? I've heard the name but do not know the location. I highly recommend Leatherwood if you get a chance to go!!

Rooster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.
Page 26 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WHT Chat :: Walking Horse Trivia Board :: The Barn Office-
Jump to: