WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 3

Go down 
+28
dutch
twhemt
Coco
tc1987
mona dean
Ritz-A-Roo
sowega
scooter
twhboss
rwitherington1
curbchain
MirallyMeadows
BigEd
grits
senator69
deltaboy
makethecut
rhinestone
Black Fantasy 1
Bubbadog
Jean
Old Graymare
sensation61
ONEHOTMARE
Hill
sadlbum
The Man in Black
smitty
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm

These Talbot-Hudgins pics are truely a synopsis of their family involvement through the years! A real treat!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 am

The breeding of what stud & his half-sister is said to have been the FIRST act of inbreeding done on purpose?

Question
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:54 am

Snip's Chance?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 am

Don't think so........of course this question is open to argument, but the foal these two "related" horses produced was one of the greatest and most important breeding horses of all time!
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am

There are quite a few that might fit that description. Merry Boy and Wilson's Allen were both by Allen studs and out of Allen mares, and both have to be considered among the greatest and important breeding horses of all time.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:43 am

Wilson Allen would be the foal, which means the answer is Roan Allen & Birdie Messick, according to some.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 am

Hard to argue against Wilson's Allen as the greatest of all time, but Merry Boy is close behind. W A had an edge by standing his entire career in Middle Tn. while M B stood many of his productive years in Mississippi and West Tn.
In any event, Merry Boy's dam, Merry Legs, has to be considered one of, if not the most, remarkable mares this breed ever produced, both as a show horse and producer.As a show mare she was crowned champion of the Tennessee State Fair on numerous occassions, beginning when she was a 3 y.o. This was back then considered to be the equivalent of being crowned WGC today, and she competed there for 10 years, sometimes while nursing a foal. She competed in dozens of shows every year and in her prime often went all year without defeat.
Her greatness as a show mare was matched by her production as a broodmare. She was the dam of thirteen foals and very few WGCs do not trace back to her, some on both top and bottom of their pedigrees, including Delight's Bumin Around.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 am

Stalliions With Regional Influence

We've talked mostly about Middle Tennessee TWH breeding, but that really is only a part of the whole picture, albeit a big part.

What lesser known studs had a big influence on their regions in other states?

Here in Ky we had a lot of colts by B. Major Wilson back in the day. Also there were the "Hi-Hat" colts, also from Eastern Ky. Later, a lot of Triple Threat colts from the days when he stood at Van Bert Farm. There were a lot of others as well.......Keene's Go Boy comes to mind and also Sun, Rise & Shine threw some nice colts here in the Central Bluegrass region, one of which I was fortunate to own. The Pusher had a tremendous influence here and stood at stud here for quite a while, before being sold.

MIB mentioned Merry Boy's influence in West Tennessee.........what about East Tennessee?? What about the "Spurs" of Alabama"??? What studs horses were influential in other states, such as Georgia, Missouri, The Carolinas and Mississippi???
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 am

I believe without question the greatest ever to stand in Missouri was Allen's Black Magic.

Besides Merry Boy, his son Old Glory stood in Mississippi.

Handshaker stood in Ga., and I think Generator may have stood down at Charlene Cooks at one time, as well as Delight Of Pride and possibly Hard Cash.

Midnight Mack K may have stood in North Carolina for a short spell.

Sir Maugray was a very influential stud in Louisana.
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: trivia   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Down here in Fl. in the past 20 yrs. ago or so we've had Coin's Skyjacker,the sire of Tracy Pinson's "Tuff" horse,who has had some real nice colts mostly flat shod .LaDon Conkle stood a top show horse in his day named Senator's Superstar who sired some real nice colts also.Yrs. ago I think Jim Messenger might have stood Sun's Rocket Go Boy down here also.I'm pretty sure ole Can Do stood down here too.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm

I remember Senator's Superstar. I think Billy Morgan started him when he was up here working for Gilbert Miller.
He won the two-year-old class at the Ohio Celebration in Columbus with him.
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Are there any stud horses that sired better flat shod vs. performance horses?
Back to top Go down
Steppin and Fetchin

Steppin and Fetchin

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Hytone Delight made a large impact in Alabama. He stood in Anderson, AL. Also the Spur line had a huge impact on the walking horse world. One year in the fifties I think 4 or 5 of the horses in the big stake were by Spur's Roan Allen.

I am also a big fan of the Gunsmoke (Gunsmoke's Fireball, Fireballs' Travelor) line that the Thompson-Mcdonald farm in South Mississippi developed. They have been raising World Champions for 50 years. Current RWC 2 year old Lady Antebellum came from them and Jose's Intimadtor came from thier blooodlines.

Random question can anyone tell me anything about Generator's Turbo?
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:58 pm

RW, two studs that excell in producing flat shod horses are Sundrop and Gold Power. Seems that the Gold Coin horses were especially good natural going flat shod horses. Coin Bad News, owned by my good friend John Feltner in Texas was one of the best. Hard Cash produced both padded and flat shod horses, and in my opinion was the best sire in the past quarter century. Lined With Cash is currently one of the best sires in the breed, both padded and flat shod.

Step, Generators Turbo was owned by Mike Thomas, (not Mad Dog) from East Tn. who also owned Bold Courier, and he was a very successful amateur horse.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Besides all being World Grand Champions, what do the following horses have in common?
(Hint: it has nothing to do with their breeding or who trained them...)

Setting Sun
Rodger's Perfection
Mack K's Handshaker
Sun's Delight
Carbon Copy
Shaker's Shocker
Sensational Shadow
Motown Magic
The Pushover
Flashy Pride
The Touch

Question
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 am

True to form, I'm a little late to the dance. But, in reading the regional stallion influence posts, I just thought I would throw in there that both Shades of Carbon and Ace's Superstar (aka Star of Tullos) both had a considerable impact in Louisiana from standing at Lowe's.

Another regional horse that had some significant impact in the southeast was that Pride's Big Stride horse. I'm not sure who owned him, but I think he lived in Georgia. The Edwards boys had some pretty fair stock that was sired by him. Seems like they had a good stake horse, maybe Stride's Holy Terror or some such.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Stride's Holy Terror was a stake horse with the Edwards who was subsequently gelding and sucessfully shown in 11 and under by Megan Stuckey of Thomson, GA.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Don Bridges of GA owned the Stride stallion and pasture bred him if I remember correctly. Then he ended up at Waterfall, but not sure of ownership. He died while at Waterfall I believe.
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: trivia   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:04 pm

MIB,your right Gold Coin also is the sire of Tracy Pinson's horse Coin's Skyjacker who was a Supreme Versatility and several time Int. Model Champion flat shod horse.Like I said earlier he is the Sire of her Extreme Cowboy horse Tuff.
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: trivia   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Step,we were stabled with J.T. & Marianne Leech for the Cele. when they sold Turbo to Mike Thomas back in the early 90's.He was a really nice horse,could do a bunch .
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Don Bridges also had A Command Performance in Ga.
Back to top Go down
Ritz-A-Roo

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Steppin and Fetchin wrote:
can anyone tell me anything about Generator's Turbo?

As a young teen I worked for J.T. leech right after his barn burned and he moved to the newer barn at what was Northfork Stables in Manchester, Tn in the summer of 1987.

He had Turbo then. He was still a somewhat green 2 year old, but would stop traffic on 41 when they rode him out in the field in front of the barn. Marianne was set to show him in the 2yr. old amateur but I believe he threw out his shoulder.

He had a HUGE motor and they would sometimes ride him 2 times a day. I would get to dog walk him from the Interstate to the barn and back while they went to lunch.

I remember Jack Greene coming to the barn to do a photo spread on him for the report or the Blue Ribbon. If anyone could post it I would appreciate it.

I would love to have a mare out of him.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 pm

MIB, maybe I am confused, did he also have the Stride stallion?

I know I bred a mare to the Stride horse while he was at Waterfall, but cannot remember his ownership clearly.

Where did the Command horse end up? Maybe I have mixed up the two horses.

"STOP" Stride's Touch of Pride was one of my very favorite horses at the Edwards, and with Dick Peebles. A factor in my choosing to breed to his sire, sold the mare in foal when my daughter went to college.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Jack MacBrayer owned the Pride's Big Stride hoss and he was later sold to Waterfall and after that sold to Ronnie Cleary in Ky.

Don Bridges owned Command Performance when he died.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm

What we would do without you, MIB? bow down

I do remember idea the McBrayers as long-time Edwards customers, too. Guess the last time I saw them was at a show in Dothan while my daughter was at Auburn...~ 2000. I think he passed away several years ago. Definitely remember the Command horse as I had been tempted to breed to him, but was reluctant to send my mare down for pasture breeding. Somehow I had attributed both of those stallions to Bridges.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 34 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 3
Page 34 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 39  Next