WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alabama & Mississippi Memories

Go down 
+10
MirallyMeadows
CKBAAuctioneer
tc1987
Jean
The Man in Black
senator69
dutch
Bubbadog
Razor
smitty
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 am

Never heard about that Smitty.
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 am

smitty wrote:
I notice both Moonglow Jr. and Moon Man were shown at the '69 Celebration. Were they brothers or was Moon Man sired by Moonglow Jr.?

We have a hung jury. Burt and I think Moonglow Jr. and Moonman were brothers both by Midnight Moonglow.
Anne thinks Jr. was Moonman's sire. We were all 20 years old and had other things on our minds then horse lineage.
I do know that after Moonglow Jr. was retired the Daugettes tried to buy Moonman from James K. but he would not
sell him. Maybe because he thought he could have won all those championships that Burt won if he had kept Moonglow Jr.
Anyway, he showed Moonman for maybe one more season then he died from Equine Encephalitis.
None of us had ever heard the story about the nail in Moonglow Jr.'s foot. That was the year before they bought Jr.
How did you dig that up?
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:47 am

We are getting closer to a verdict. Burt has now changed her Mind. She thinks Moonglow Jr. was Moonman's sire and
that is the main reason Col. Daugette wanted to buy Moonman. At that time Jr. was at the Vic Thompson's Stallion Stables and
they were promoting him as a breeding stud.
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:53 am

I think we have a concensus. Clarence says Moonman was sired by Moonglow Jr.
It's a shame the Breeders Association doesn't have all the records on a webb site.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Razor,

Moon Man tied 10th in the 3 yr. old championship in 1969, so that would give you an idea of when he was foaled. The TWHBEA does have a online directory called IPEDS, but I don't have access to it. Sometimes it can be a problem finding a horse if the horse was shown under a name other than the one they were registered under. Maybe some of our members with access can look Moon Man up. I tried looking under the "All Pedigree" directory, but had no success.

As for the Sports Illustrated story, I simply did a Google search for Moonglow Jr. using several keywords as modifiers. I'm probably one of the LEAST knowledgeable members here (if the truth be known) but I have a knack for finding rare tidbits of interest. Not rocket science, but it's kind of what I'm known for here and gives us a lot of interesting things to talk about.

Salute

Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:33 am

Burt's Bookcase circa 1968
Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 Burt_d10
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Alabama& Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Now that's impressive!!
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Alabama& Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:10 pm

I thought I remembered Jr. being Moonman's daddy but my memory is a little fuzzy sometimes!
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Jr. That's the Celebration Amateur Championship Trophy in the middle. Some time soon I'll borrow it from Burt and
post a closeup picture of it.
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 Ccf12210

Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 Ccf01112

Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Gadsden Horse Show August 1970
Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 Dauget12

Top Left: Anne Daugette & Rock-A-Bye Lady
Top Right: Connell Davis, Ray Renfrow,Florence Daugette , Burt Daugette, Harriet Jenkins
Bottom Left: Anne tells Florence and Sara Coffee about Rock-A-Bye
Bottom Right;Anne, Vic Thompson, Tuff Stuff, Clarence Daugette
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:02 pm

I miss Connell!
Back to top Go down
barn2648

barn2648

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Love those horse show pictures lets see more .
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Alabama& Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:12 pm

My memory must have left me already,I'm embarrassed to say in my minds eye I had Rock-a-Bye darker than that top left pic.I really feel old now!LOL
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Jr. maybe your memory is not the only thing that's faded. Those pictures are 42 years old!
Back to top Go down
Rock-A-Bye

Rock-A-Bye

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm

She was darker. The picture must have faded. Tuff Stuff made a good show as I remember but he was tough to ride.
Back to top Go down
Rock-A-Bye

Rock-A-Bye

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Ray was in the picture that year!
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 pm

And he's still in the picture
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Taylor's Moon Man was sired by Moon-Glow, Jr. and out of Ike's Glory by Midnight Ike.
Back to top Go down
Razor

Razor

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 6:52 pm

MIB thanks for putting that question to rest. Did you find a copy of Moonglow Jr.s papers?
We don't know where the original is.
Back to top Go down
Rock-A-Bye

Rock-A-Bye

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Man in Black, I thought I was right about Moonman! Did you look that up on the breeders log.

Last edited by Rock-A-Bye on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rock-A-Bye

Rock-A-Bye

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Where did Midnight Moonglow stand at stud? Was he ever in Huntsville, Alabama?
Back to top Go down
cruiselvr

cruiselvr

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 am

Me too Cissy! He was one of a kind.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Here is what I could find on IPEDS for Moon-Glow, Jr.

His owners in order were H T Eustace, James K Taylor, Vic Thompson, Burt Daugette and Col. and Mrs C W Daugette Jr.

He was sired by Midnight Moonglow and out of Classy Allen.

He had 84 foals registered to him, the last in 1980.

There are still horses living today that carry his genes.
Back to top Go down
Rock-A-Bye

Rock-A-Bye

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Man In Black thanks for the info about Moonglow Jr.
What is the IPEDS and how is it accessed?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alabama & Mississippi Memories   Alabama & Mississippi Memories - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alabama & Mississippi Memories
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next