WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories

Go down 
+18
Corky
Jean
twhboss
Hill
MirallyMeadows
grits
curbchain
scooter
Rambler
Old Graymare
senator69
sensation61
Bubbadog
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
rwitherington1
The Man in Black
smitty
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories Empty
PostSubject: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories CallingAllHosses

This is a monthly column by Joyce Datson that appeared in The National Horseman back in the early 70's and perhaps the late 60's. It covers walking horse news from the bluegrass state for that time. Joyce was from Shelbyville, Ky and showed several good mares including My Lady Major & Golden Slipper out of the Baker-Mcquerry Stables in Danville, Ky. I had the pleasure of showing out of the same barn as Joyce in the mid seventies and knew her to be a nice and classy lady. I am re-typing her article to make it easier to read online. This one is from March, 1970.............39 years ago.

Kentucky Noddings

By Joyce Dotson

The horse grapevine is buzzing with all the talk of good horses being worked around the state. It won't be long until talk will have to give way to proof. If this year is like the last few years there will be plenty of top horses in the show rings. The Walking Horses in Kentucky are getting better and better. With the quality horses being raised in Kentucky, it is no longer necessary to go south to find a great horse. All you Walking Horse lovers can take pride in this fact and you know that we have some thrilling shows every week in Kentucky.

Kentucky Walking Horse Association
It certainly was good to see everyone at the Annual Meeting of the KWHA. There was a good crowd for the buffet dinner at the Continental Inn in Lexington on February 7th. This association is growing every year and membership runs from one annual meeting to the next. President Elroy Mallard conducted the election of directors and officers. The by-laws of the association require that all officers, except the secretary be members of the board of directors.. Directors are elected for a two-year term, and the terms of eight directors had expired this year. Directors elected last year with one more year to serve are as follows: Ed Ashcraft, Florence; George Brumfield, Nicholasville; X.B. Haynie, Milton; Elroy Mallard, Georgetown; W.S. Ricketts, New Castle; Dr. D.B. Shipp, Dry Ridge; Harold Terry, Upton. New directors elected this year are as follows; Ulous Carlton, Warsaw; Gene Cash, Campbellsville; Tom Cobb, Shelbyville; Jim Day, Richmond; H.T. Derickson, Stanton; Dr. H.J. Floutermersch, Carrollton; M.G. Hannigan, Ashland; Glenmore Stewart, Warsaw.
The newly elected officers are: president, Ulous Carlton; first vice-president, H. T. Derickson; second vice-president, Tom Cobb; treasurer, Dr. H.J. Floutermersch. If you are not a member of KWHA and would like to join this year, send your check for $10 to the Kentucky Walking Horse Association, Inc., P.O. Box 227, Warsaw, Ky. 41009. Mr. Carlton will send your membership card by return mail. Enaction of one very important item of business took place at the annual meeting. The KWHA has adopted completely the rules as revised for 1970 of the Breeder's Association and the Tennessee Walking Horse Trainers Association.

Here and There

I saw a good little horse being worked at Bob MCQuerry's barn the other day. An entry for the junior classes this year, he is a beautiful sorrel with a flaxen mane and blazed face. Delight's Perfection is owned by Conrad Gibson, Harrodsburg. Mr. Gibson's daughter Ann Curtsinger was riding this high stepper. He looks like a million and should be one to watch this season.
Bill Wiggington, Williamstown, is certainly a familiar face to those of you who were showing Walking Horses in Kentucky eight or nine years ago. Bill showed a big black gelding called Midnight Colonel K. I recall seeing him show Colonel at the National Celebration and all the shows on the Kentucky circuit at that time. Bill stopped showing to raise a family and I feel sure that Rich or Chris Wiggington won't have too much trouble convincing Dad that they should have a walking pony to show sometime in the future. In the meantime, Bill and his wife Judy are raising some beautiful Toy Poodles and can keep horsemen supplied with perfect mascots for their stables. They have four babies now and by the time you read this they will be ready to leave home. I have a little Mini Mam'selle they raised and can truthfully say, "You haven't lived until you have lived with a Poodle." They are adorable.
Go Boy's Midnight Rambler is a name that rings a bell with most Walking Horse enthusiasts. He has been a consistent winner since his debut as a two-year-old with Bob McQuerry showing him for Mr. & Mrs. J.T. Murphy. Rambler has gained and held onto a reputation for greatness. As a junior horse he was high point champion for the Kentucky Association of Fairs & Horse Shows. At the 1968 Kentucky Celebration, Bob made a magnificent show with Rambler to win the grand championship and carry away the roses. Last year the Murphys sold him to Mrs. Carolyn Hurst, Harrodsburg, and he began another phase of his career as a ladies mount. Rambler and Carolyn make a beautiful pair and have proven their ability by their enviable show record of last year. They carried away the blue ribbons in the ladies classes at Germantown, Harrodsburg, Owingsville, Richmond, Stanton and The Kentucky State Fair. At the National Celebration in Shelbyville, Tennessee, Carolyn rode him to an eighth place tie in a class of forty-eight in the ladies gelding class, a feat that was the envy of many. Bob McQuerry showed him back in the 15.2 & under class and tied fifth in a class of forty-five head. To finish the season Carolyn showed him in the ladies class at the Ky Celebration. Here he was second only to Super Sport who went on to win the Grand Championship the next night. After this rigorous show season, Rambler was turned out to pasture for a well-deserved rest. Now he is back at Baker & McQuerry Stables and Bob has him well on the way back to his top form. Carolyn has started to ride this beautiful black six-year-old gelding again and will have him rady for the opening of the 1970 show season.

They tell me that Steven Tutt, 3-T Farm, Lexington, has bought a really great coming two-year-old from the Claude Brown Stable. Of course everyone knows 3T has a reputation for owning only top show horses. Raymond Baker, Berea, has brought his Delight's Riviera to Harrodsburg for Bob to get ready to show. This beautiful stallion was given a rest after the show season last year. He is going in the stake classes this year as a five-year-old and should be as good as the Buick he is named after. This good-looking horse has an exciting way of going with a big front end. A.R. Gordon, Sr. tells me they have plenty of good young stock they have started this year. They have many colts with royal pedigrees in addition to the horses they showed last year.

Lots of the Kentucky Walking Horse fans tell me they are heading south for the Murray Farm Sale at Lewisburg, Tennessee. Many of them are taking horses to sell and if I know these folks the vans will come back loaded with new stock.

Last edited by smitty on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 9:45 am

Kentucky Folk or former Ky folk,

I'm trying to remember some names, but my memory is failing. If you know the answers to these questions please post OR email me at timmbur@gmail.com.

1. What was the name of the pony that Herbert Derickson used to show as a kid.
2. There was also a walking pony shown up here by a blond-headed girl with pigtails out of Independence, Ky. Pretty decent pony, maybe her father trained it?
What was the pony's name and family's name???
3. There was a girl out of Georgetown, Ky that used to show in either Juvenile or Pony classes (Can't remember which, but I seem to picture her on a bay horse) Can anyone tell me her name, her horse's name, trainer's name???
4. There was a woman out of Lancaster, Ky that used to show in both Walking AND Saddlebred classes. What was her name?

Maybe Cadillac or Thirdworkout will know some or all of these......

:scratch:
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Did the pony that Herbert showed have 4 white foots?
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:49 pm

The bay pony was Cat Ballou and her dad trained him. I can picture her as well. She had red hair and the pony was a copper penny red bay with no white markings.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 9:34 am

MIB, I'm pretty sure Herbert's pony had two white stockings behind............not sure about the front.

RW, I think you got the description of the pony right, and probably the girl too (although I was almost sure she had blond hair.....pigtails for sure though) The pony's name was not Cat Ballou though. That was the pony Tricia Stoger from Versailles rode. She had red hair and wore it in a bun. Her pony was black, I'm pretty sure. The pony I'm thinking of was definetely sorrell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 am

smitty, now some of these are even before my time. the one from georgtown could be jennifer roberts, mr mallards grandaughter and i think billy ray parrish trained for them.

i have seen some of your old friends lately, andy toof, jackie brown, tommy hall, bob mcquerry, the jacksons.

hope you make a surprise visit to a show this summer.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 am

Cadillac,

Always good to hear from you, my dear....

I think the girl from Georgetown's name was Jennifer and you are probably right about the trainer. For some reason, I was thinking her last name was Johnson.

As for the pony from Independence, Ky. I don't know the pony's name but for some reason I seem to be thinking the family's name was Lennox. I could be wrong on this. Holly Liddell would know for sure.

The lady from Lancaster that showed gaited and walking horses name may have been Marilyn (or Carolyn) Cole.
Not 100% sure on that one either.

Caddy, how bout posting some Ky Trivia questions of your own??? I'm sure you can come up with something, if I know you.

Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 2:23 pm

smitty, jennifers maiden name was johnson. i think cole was the ladys name that showed gaited and walking, i remeber her showing. i will try to think of some trivia ??? for you.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks Caddy,

In the meantime, here's another trivia question for ya.......

Name a good mare shown by Billy Jackson that had the same name as a type of dancer.

Question
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Billy Jackson use to bring a load of horses to Buddy Moores during the celebration every year. They would peddle them out of Buddy's barn. I think I spoke to Billy at the after Christmas sale this past year.
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Caddy...Are you talkin' bout Jennifer Roberts that dates Jim Blackburn?
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 pm

[quote="smitty"]Thanks Caddy,

In the meantime, here's another trivia question for ya.......

Name a good mare shown by Billy Jackson that had the same name as a type of dancer.

Dancers Ballerina
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:28 am

OHM,

You are correct. I think she was a roan, if I'm not mistaken. (Did you get some help on that one???) Suspect Laughing
Billy & Johnny Jackson are good horsemen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 11:23 pm

DANCERS BALLERINA IS CORRECT. BILLY AND HIS SONS ARE STILL SHOWING, BILLY HAS NOT BEEN FEELING WELL AND IS FIXING TO HAVE SOME HEART SURGERY, I HAVE A HORSE IN TRINING AT JOHN JACKSONS, YOU CANT FIND ANY BETTER PEOPLE THAN THE JACKSON FAMILY.

OHM-- I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT ON THE JENNIFER ROBERTS ???
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Cadillac,

We're still waiting on that Kentucky Trivia...................................................................???? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Pony from Independence KY   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm

That would be Don & Nancye Lemox from Independence. The pony was probably Midnight Bombadier. At one time Stacy Welch, Hollywood's daughter, showed him but that might have been later. The Lemox's owned Uncle Sam when he won the International. Nancye used to have a big black horse with a blaze that she showed AOT. I can't remember his show name but they called him Big John. The Lemox's were good friends of my parents way back when. I remember hauling our horses over to their barn in the cold weather to ride. They had a "big hallway" that you could ride in.

Jennifer Bingham
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Midnight Bombadier..........that's IT!!! You don't know how I've racked my old brain trying to remember the name of that pony. The Lemox girl did pretty well with him as I recall.

Thanks Autumn!............that takes me waaaay back.............................
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Autumn,

Do you remember this little fella???

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories DrummersDelight
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: ?????   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 3:38 pm

No I can't place the pony or rider.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

You're probably not quite old enough to remember that one.

That is (gulp!).........ME making my first show on a TWH back in the 70's!
I always get a kick out of that haircut!

The horse was Drummer's Delight. He was quite a HANDFUL and he was small, not far from a pony.. Bob McQuerry trained him and I showed him in juvenile classes. Sherri (Deitz) Ward and Lee Saufley showed out of the same barn at that time, and Bob would often put all three of us in the same class. Those gals beat the socks off me for a long time, until that little sucker finally settled down and I learned to ride him. Tied 2cd at the Ky Celebration with him one year. One of my fondest memories was at Burlington, Ky where we beat 26 horses in the 15.2 & Under Amateur class one year in a long workout. I talked with the woman in Illinois who showed him for many years afterwards and did well with him. Sadly, she told me he broke his leg loading in a trailer and had to be put down.

He was a half-brother to Drummer's Stroller that Sharon Ping used to show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Ponies   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:26 pm

I remember the name Drummer's Delight. I used to love to look through old Red Books and Blue Books at the pics. The first performance TWH I showed was a big black mare named Threat's Royal Ann up at Hilliard OH one year. BC Cotton owned her and Sharon & Howard Ping trained her. I won the Ama. Spec class. I was only about 3 1/2 when I showed her. Do you remember Mike Davis from up in the OH area? He would be about your age. I forget who he said he showed for up there. He now owns Shamrock Farms in Shelbyville where Jeff Green trains. His daughter, Megham, has the Jazz In Dixie mare.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Don't remember Mike Davis, but I think I do remember a big Threat mare that Sharon used to show. Speaking of B.C. Cotton, he used to have a lot of horses in training with Bob McQuerry back when I showed out of that barn. I remember him sitting in a chair, with his cane and wiping his face with a handkerchief while he watched Bob work his horses. I believe at one time, he may have had more horses in training with more people than anybody!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:03 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EbonysWarEagle-KYCelebration
Ebony's War Eagle & Jennifer Bingham win the Walking Pony Championship at the 1990 Ky Celebration

Hey, that's a lot of hardware you won there girl!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories Huh22
Tammy & Evan Alexander of Richmond, Ky

Tammy is trainer Donnie May's daughter. I met her many years ago when we were both teenagers. She showed a walking pony called Mr. Spook, which some of you may remember. Her son Evan has been doing real well lately on their Amateur Specialty horse, Two Gun Silver Dollar, who won a blue at the Celebration last year and most recently won at Frankfort.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 9:56 am

Barefoot Ben: The Man Who Walked To Horse Shows

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories BenWilson-1

In the 1960's and early 1970's, there was a Kentucky man who WALKED to horse shows barefoot. His name was Ben Wilson and he lived just outside of Lawrenceburg, Ky, about 5 miles down the road from where I live now. Known as "Barefoot Ben", he had a long white beard, wore overalls and carried a long walking stick with him on his journeys. He was most well-known for walking to the State Fair every year up U.S. 60, but he also walked to many other shows in the area. I know this for a fact, because I remember seeing him on U.S. 27 several times when I was about 13 years old or so. Although I've heard it said that Ben usually refused a ride in a car, he was not above hitching a ride now and then. My step-father remembers picking him up on several occasions. He said it was a wonder he never got killed, because when he wanted a ride, he would just walk right out in the road to stop you. Ben was a bit on the eccentric side, you see. A little different than most folks.

The tales surrounding "Barefoot Ben" are numerous and I'm not really sure what's fact or fiction, but it would not surprise me at all if most of them were true. I talked with a retired gentleman the other day about Ben. He told me that Ben was actually one of the wealthiest men in Anderson County and that he usually carried several thousand dollars with him everywhere he went. He also told me Ben was good with horses and had owned several top Saddlebreds. According to him, Ben used to ride horses everywhere before he began walking. He confirmed that old Ben was a bit odd. He told me a story about one of Ben's trips to Louisville. He said that Ben was walking down 3rd Street amongst the city folk and he evidently scared some of them by his strange appearance and odd behavior. Someone must have called the cops because an officer stopped Ben on the street after a while. The officer asked him what he was doing. Ben told him that it was none of his business. The cop arrested him and took him to jail. After spending a night locked up, he appeared before the judge the next morning. The judge asked him the same question and Ben gave the judge the same answer, "None of your business." The judge then asked him where he was from and Ben told him Anderson County. The judge made a phone call to the courthouse and talked with the district judge of that county and asked him if he knew a fella by the name of Ben Wilson. The district judge said, "Yeah, known him all my life". The Louisville judge said, well I've got him locked up here. The district judge said, "What for?" The Louisville judge said, "Well, I'm not really sure. He was just kind of acting strange and scaring folks on the street" The district judge laughed and said, "Oh, that's just Ben. He's a little odd, but he's harmless. You probably ought to let him go...........he's got enough money to buy me and you BOTH!"

In 1966, a movie was filmed in central Kentucky called "The Flim Flam Man" starring George C. Scott and Micheal Sarrazin. You may remember it, Scott plays Mordecai C. Jones a drifting con artist who makes his living playing tricks on people in the South. Well it is not unusual for locals to land small parts in movies shot on location.  The Flim-Flam Man was no exception.  Somehow "Barefoot" Ben Wilson was cast as the zealot holding the "Are You Ready?" sign in the movie.  Ben's authentic performance earned him a spot in the film's advertising! You can see a cartoon characterization of him in the movie poster.

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories Bareftad

This is a incomplete story. Ben died sometime in the 1970s. I have been able to find no more info on him, but I'm sure there is MUCH more out there. If anyone out there has any more info or stories on this unique individual, please contact me at timmbur@gmail.com.

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories MPW-7258txt

Link to The Flim Flam Man fan site:

http://www.win.net/~ltreed/flimflam/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories Empty

Back to top Go down

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next