WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 3

Go down 
+28
dutch
twhemt
Coco
tc1987
mona dean
Ritz-A-Roo
sowega
scooter
twhboss
rwitherington1
curbchain
MirallyMeadows
BigEd
grits
senator69
deltaboy
makethecut
rhinestone
Black Fantasy 1
Bubbadog
Jean
Old Graymare
sensation61
ONEHOTMARE
Hill
sadlbum
The Man in Black
smitty
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Curbchain, isn't Calloway Hills in Missouri?
Also, are you familiar with Kalarama Farm in Springfield, Ky?
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 pm

You're right, Smitty. Calloway Hills is in New Bloomfield, MO and Ms. Weldon was from Jefferson City. I was thinking about Redd Crabtree from Simpsonville, KY and his involvement with Will Shriver when I wrote my last post. My bad.

Yes, I'm familiar with Kalarama. Neil and I are good friends. That's another of those farms that has an incredible history. Oh, man. The good ones that have come out of that program is incredible. Did you ever get to see Garland's Dream? She was as good a gaited mare that ever wore a set of shoes. I remember her and Larry Hodge taking on Don Harris and Prize Contender. Much like Skywatch and Imperator, it was a class for the ages. Garland's Dream just kept hammering and hammering and hammering until Prize had nothing left. She just flat out beat him down. If you're ever down that way, you should stop and visit. It's really an amazing place. Check out their website and read up on their history. Way Cool.

Another way cool old farm with a ton of history that is still going strong is Hoppy Bennett's Undulata Farm in Shelbyville. Simply Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 am

Curb,

I have attended Saddlebred shows on an occasional basis for many years. Junior League, Shelbyville, Harrodsburg and the Championships in L'ville mostly. I guess the most impressive horses I personally have seen would have to be Yorktown, Imperator and perhaps Night Prowler. There are many I have not seen. I find that I seem to like Fine Harness & Hackney classes more and more all the time. There is just SOMETHING about a Fine Harness hoss I can't quite put into words.

Rock Creek is going on in L'ville right now. I thought about running up there tomorrow night, but I'm not sure I'll have the energy.
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 1:26 pm

How many of you remember that Mexico, Missouri was the orginal Amerian Saddlebred capital of the world? I was born and raised there, thus my saddlbred background. It's about 35 miles from Calloway Hills which is between Fulton & Jefferson City, Mo. In fact my half sister works here part time.
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 5:44 pm

I guess my favorites would be
5 Gaited: Boucheron and Rob Byers
3 Gaited: An Heir About Her (when Riser had her) or maybe Blackberry Winter under George Knight
Fine Harness: Calloway's Copyright and Foxfire's Prophet (both directed by Johnny Jones)

You're right about the harness horses, it's a much different experience than a horse under saddle. I'm telling you, the fact that F38 could do all those gaits under saddle and still trot to harness really underscores that he was a quality animal.
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Curbchain,

Does Todd Miles from Brandenburg, KY still train Saddlebreds? Smitty, do you remember him from the split shows? My sister and I showed in a lot of the county fairs that had 1/2 Walking Horse classes and 1/2 Saddlebred. Todd used to show Beau's Chocolate Chip in the gaited pony classes. All three of ended up going to the same college at the same time.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 5:50 pm

S61,

My good friend in Wart-race tells me the Saddlebred Museum in Mexico, Missouri was more interesting and possibly better than the fancy (and overpriced) one at the Horse Park here in Lexington. I have never been to the one at the Horse Park either. Just won't pay $5 to park and $15 to get in a museum, unless it's a very big and nice one (like Ali Museum in L'ville). Heck, the Smithsonian in DC is free ain't it???

I'm getting chintzy these days........... Mad

No RW, just remember Ray Pittman, All the Moores, Earl Teater and a few others.
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 6:07 pm

RW,
Todd Miles still trains horses. He is at Raymond and Lillian Shively's DeLovely Farms in Rockport Indiana. Check out their site, it's quite nice. Todd has done quite well for himself. DeLovely has one of the most successful show operations in the business. Todd has won the 5 Gaited WGC twice (1995 with Onion and 2005 with 5 O'clock). He has also won the 3 Gaited WGC two or three times with Manilla Thrilla (05 &06, I think). In addition, he has trained more WC amatuer horses than I could list here.

http://www.delovelyfarm.com/
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 7:18 am

What World Grand Champion was only six seconds away from being eliminated from the WGC class, having used almost all of the allotted time for a thrown shoe?

Question
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:21 pm

If memory serves me correct, Coin's Hard Cash almost used up his time out for a thrown shoe.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:52 am

I remember Ace threw a shoe.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:10 am

Coin's Hard Cash is the answer I'm looking for. The farrier was Louie Staton.
Back to top Go down
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:41 am

Smitty is it possib;e to put spme saddlebred videos on here as I have never seen one only saw still photos and heard stories on how high strung they are. would be interested in the fine harness class also... Cowboy
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:56 am

Yes Grits. I have posted a few in the past, but I'll see if I can find a few more to post for you.
I'll post them under Off Subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 am

When was the Racking Horse recognized as a distinct breed?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 am

Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 7:26 am

Who bred the famous "four sisters" mares ? What was their breeding and what did they produce?

Question
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 am

Audie Dean bred Snip's Chance to his stud, Wilson's Allen, to produce the 4 Sisters. These sisters went on to produce Sun's Delight, Midnight Ike, Johnny Midnight, Delight's Chance, Sun's Hero, Dean's Boss Man along with a few others.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Correctamundo!!!! thumbs up Actually, Mr. Dean's stud hoss was Wilson Dean, not Wilson Allen, but close enough.
Mack K's Trigger & Delight's Sunbeam were some other offspring of the "4 Sisters". Snip's Chance's grandsire was Grey Lad, of "Grey John" blood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 6:56 pm

If you want to find a lot of Mr. Audie Dean history and bloodlines call Philp Snordgrass. He has a lot of the mares and studs that carry Mr.Deans
bloodlines he got when they sold out his herd.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 7:01 am

Stud Quiz

Where did the following stallions stand at stud?

1. Midnight Sun
2. Colonel Allen
3. Pride of Alabama
4. Merry Boy
5. Merry Go Boy
6. Sir Maugray
7. Roan Allen Again
8. Brown Allen
9. Desert Gold
10. Wilson Allen's Chocolate Soldier
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Merry Boy stood first at Albert Dement's farm for 10 years. Then he was sold to the McMichaels in Coffee County where he stood 8 years then was sold to Yandell's of Vance Ms. where he stood for 5 years and then was sold to George Williams of Jackson, Tn. where stood for 9 tears until hes death at 33.

Sir Maugray stood in Shreveport, La. for some time.
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm sure they were other places, but Midnight Sun was at Harlinsdale Farm in Franklin, TN. Merry Go Boy was at S.W. Beech's in Belfast, TN.
Back to top Go down
BigEd

BigEd

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Merry Go Boy also stood at CC Turner Farms in Broadway, Va.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 6:21 pm

The answers to the Stud Quiz, or at least most of them, can be found here:

http://www.walking-horse.com/past/stud/

Some interesting data.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 3
Page 12 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next