WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 3

Go down 
+28
dutch
twhemt
Coco
tc1987
mona dean
Ritz-A-Roo
sowega
scooter
twhboss
rwitherington1
curbchain
MirallyMeadows
BigEd
grits
senator69
deltaboy
makethecut
rhinestone
Black Fantasy 1
Bubbadog
Jean
Old Graymare
sensation61
ONEHOTMARE
Hill
sadlbum
The Man in Black
smitty
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
Jean

Jean

Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:00 pm

Wish you could have been there. we had a great time. My friend Dina that came with me had a ball and enjoyed the dinner. I saw Jennifer Pendleton( now in Tn), as a young girl she boarded a horse with us in Daytona Beach. Her mom was up from Fla. Jennifer did well with her horses this week. Talked to Maxine Boyd( Billy's wife) and daughter Leah. Had a good visit with Deedy in her : MALL: Saw many friends i only see once a year. I have met some super people because of the horses and Celebration. We are going back next weekend. Got to go Friday to see Tracy Pinson and "Tuff ". Charge!
Back to top Go down
http://LEESMINIMART.synthasite.com
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 am

If anyone attending the trivia luncheon has any photos for me to post of the event, send em on in!!!

sunny
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 am

Bobby Sands announced last night, that Fire N Ice was the record holder for Celebration blues with 41. Also, Mister Delight was the oldest to win a Celebration blue at the age of 23. Bobby also mentioned Hill's Perfection winning a blue at 16. cheers
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm sorry to say I did not make the lunch, I did have good intentions. I was afraid that it would not work time-wise though. 2 juvenile riders from the barn were showing that morning. Both (Frosty Girl/Maria and Perfect in Black/Adrian) won their classes and I just couldn't have missed either one!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:20 am

During the 1940's many Tennessee Walking Horses were shipped to Cuba & Puerto Rico where the stallions were bred to mares. What particular breed of mares were they bred to down there?

Question
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 am

Pasos?
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 10:32 am

This is a total guess and the most logical one; the Paso Fino? I decided to google this to see if I could find any history (because I love to research and read historical trivia!!) on this being done and I did not (so far; I only did one entry). But...
I did find an interesting article on Gaited Mules which were beginning to bred around that time also. It sounds as if these mules are becomong very popular now; this article tells of an important Gaited Mule farm in Shelbyville. They breed a lot of TWH mares to their Gaited Mule stallions and from the way it sounds; demand is out-weighing supply. Sounds like the kind of "horse business" I need to be in!! Honestly though; I found this a very interesting article and could see the attributes in this breed; BUT could also imagine some cons.

http://www.myhorse.com/gaited-mule-breed.html
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 pm

The answer is:

ARABIANS

If you go to Photos & Memorabilia topic and look at the 1940 Blue Ribbon pages just posted today, you will see an article (5th image down) called "Tennessee Walking Horses Shipped to Foreign Lands." A little fuzzy and hard to read, but it basically states they were crossed to get the easy gait of the TWH and the endurance of the Arabian.
Back to top Go down
mona dean

mona dean

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Hill,

Debra Coleman from Clemmons, NC, you may know her, has a walking mule that
won several classes at the Celebration Mule Show and won the walking mule
class at the International/

Mona Dean
Back to top Go down
Ritz-A-Roo

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Hill wrote:
It sounds as if these mules are becomong very popular now; this article tells of an important Gaited Mule farm in Shelbyville. They breed a lot of TWH mares to their Gaited Mule stallions and from the way it sounds; demand is out-weighing supply. Sounds like the kind of "horse business" I need to be in!! Honestly though; I found this a very interesting article and could see the attributes in this breed; BUT could also imagine some cons.

http://www.myhorse.com/gaited-mule-breed.html

I sold this one to a lady out west shortly before I moved to East Tennessee.

Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 pm

I am not a mule fan but this one has as nice a saddle gait as you would want to see.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Smitty...The answer was right in front of my face and I went looking for it! The offspring from those breedings must have primarily stayed in Puerto Rico (or wherever they were bred??) because we see nothing of them here. To my knowledge there is not a breed with this cross as the foundation??

Mona...Her name sounds familiar; but I can't figure out how I know it?? Does she stable her mule in the area?

MIB...I agree; the only mule I ever knew was my grandfather's plow mule and that mule was stubborn...the stories I could tell!!! But; I love the gait on this mule...walking all over!! Would you like to have a Gaited Mule in your barn? Shocked

Ritz...Very Nice Mule!!!
Back to top Go down
mona dean

mona dean

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:06 am

Hill,

Debra has shown TWH for many years and had several WC and WGC. For years the Colemans
had their own barn at Clemmons with David Polk as trainer. They had several Kentucky
Fried Chicken stores in the WS area. Debra now has a home in Shelbyville and also one
in Clemmons. The mule is in training somewhere around Shelbyville.

Mona
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:34 am

How many WGC's can you name that had to overcome serious injury or health problems before they could claim the title of World Grand Champion?

Question
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Ace and Threat's Supreme come to mind.
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Shades of Carbon
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Yes, Ace's Sensation had bowed tendons. Seems like Threat's Supreme had a cut on his back leg or ankle?
Shades Of Carbon, was very ill there for a while. The Super Stock was hampered by injuries throughout his career and missed a chance to compete one year. I believe Mtn Man was weakened by a pulled tendon in 78 and a kidney infection in 79, but still managed to show and place 2cd & 3rd those years.

I'm sure there's many more.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 am

In the early 1980's, the highest prize money ever awarded in a Walking Horse class was won by a certain horse and rider. Who was the horse & rider, how much was awarded and where was the horse show?

Question
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 am

Wuzzit the International?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 9:43 am

Nope...........believe it or not, it wasn't even in the state of Tennessee...........
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 am

Answer: In 1983, the highest prize money ever awarded in a Walking Horse Class was $15,000 at the Herman A. Hayes Memorial Horse Show in Vienna, Missouri. It was won by Ebony's Bold Courier with Joe Fleming in the saddle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am

smitty wrote:
How many WGC's can you name that had to overcome serious injury or health problems before they could claim the title of World Grand Champion?

Question

He wasn't The WGC but he is a multi WC and WGC but Major General was attacked by wild dogs or coyotes when he was a baby and nearly died... so I guess you could say that's overcoming serious injury..

and

Ritz always had quarter crack issues.. (very noticeable during his retirement)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 am

smitty wrote:
Answer: In 1983, the highest prize money ever awarded in a Walking Horse Class was $15,000 at the Herman A. Hayes Memorial Horse Show in Vienna, Missouri. It was won by Ebony's Bold Courier with Joe Fleming in the saddle

AWWW, I can't believe I didn't see this Question....I knew it...I was there!! We may have to confirm with Mr. Fleming...but I always heard that none of that Stake Class Prize money was ever paid out.. Another little odd fact about that class was that there was one particular horse in that class who was not wanted in there. The trainer was called by an anonymous person and told not to enter, but rather to enter the 15.2 class where he could win that.
Back to top Go down
rhinestone

rhinestone

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:13 am

Didn't Dark Spirit's Rebel have some kind of issue when he was a colt? I think I remember something about Pride's Secret Threat being sickly when he was a colt, too.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 pm

What was the original name of THE COACH ????

(....no.....it wasn't The Roach....... Rolling Eyes)

Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 3   Trivia Archive 3 - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 3
Page 23 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 39  Next