WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!

Go down 
+29
tc1987
barn2648
High Chaparral
Rambler
mhickman
ginger nalli
mlawrence
Santana1
bledsoesl@aol.com
Ken1980
rhinestone
Hill
rwitherington1
Jean
MirallyMeadows
grits
curbchain
deltaboy
BigEd
twhboss
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
Everett
The Man in Black
Old Graymare
senator69
sensation61
Bubbadog
smitty
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 6:35 pm

ME, too! jump for joy
Back to top Go down
bledsoesl@aol.com

bledsoesl@aol.com

PostSubject: Ellis Stables, Orrville, Alabama & Les Nelson photographer   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 pm

(I am not accustomed to this site even though I was once a member......I am unfamiliar with the format and hope I make no mistakes in posting.)

I know a few facts about Jimmy, but I know more info about his parents, Furniss and Mary Faye Ellis.......
Jimmy was adopted and raised as an only child. My family first met the Ellis family in the mid 1960's....because of the horses. Jimmy's avocation as a child was horses, and he chose as an adult to become a professional trainer rather than to remain an amateur competitor. He was raised on the very large Ellis Farm, located in Dallas County, Orrville, Alabama, a small community situated close to Selma. Jimmy's father, Furniss, was actively involved in politics at both the county and state levels, being County Commissioner of Dallas County for many years - even during the famed 'Selma to Montgomery March in 1965 which happened around the the time-frame of the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement.

It was my privilege to visit with them in their beautiful old home on various occasions. The farm was very large and produced various crops such as cotton and corn, and simultaneously produced many notable Tennessee Walking Horses. I have scanned over the info presented and it all seems to be correct insofar as the horse involvement. I would like to note that a visit at the Ellis farm was almost like stepping into the pages of 1800's literature about the South because of the vast farming enterprise, the beautiful horses and foals grazing the pastures, the classic old home, and the grace and style with which Mary Faye and Furniss entertained their guests.

Jimmy was a tall and very handsome young man wiht very dark hair who spoke with a long southern drawl. He had a natural talent for music and developed into an extremely good singer much in the style of Elvis Presley, after whom I always thought Jimmy patterned his entereainment style. Jimmy did frequently entertain the horse folks at parties held in conjunction with the major horse shows.

I knew Mildred and the son but have had no contact with her for many years.

I can give you the names iof some individuals in south Alabama who, if still living, can assist you with far more information than I would post online...

Sarah Lynn Bledsoe

Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Thank you for joining us once again, Sara. Very insightful info as usual.
I have assigned you an Avatar above. I thought it was quite Southern and Nostalgic, but if you don't care for it, I'd be glad to work with you on something else.

I hope you stick around. I have a feeling things are about to get very interesting and exciting on this board.

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 pm

There was an article in THE BLUE RIBBON on the Ellis family...but it's been many years. I'll try to find my copy.

I'm not in contact with Jerry Lewis (Shelbyville farrier)...but I know he spent alot of time in Orrville shoeing for Jimmy, back in the day.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I knew Sarah Lynn would have some special insights...I never had the opportunity to see the Ellis farm, but can imagine it after your description. I also found the information about Mr Furniss and politics an interesting fact that I was unaware of....Thanks for joining us, Sarah Lynn!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Who was the only juvenile rider (amateur 17 years & under) to own and train a World Champion Tennessee Walking Horse?

Question
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Juvenile Stake or preliminary?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Championship..............it was a pony class, not juvenile
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Ellis stables   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 12:14 am

Welcome back SL,good to see you on here again.
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 12:29 am

Ray Beech and Little Bit of Trouble
Back to top Go down
bledsoesl@aol.com

bledsoesl@aol.com

PostSubject: Ellus Stables, Orrville, Alabama & Les nelson photographer   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks so much for the welcome.......It is a snowy, drizzly, cold day today, and I was glad to have a diversion.

Molly's email today has caused me to spend loads of time thinking about some wonderful times I spent in south Alabama. And seeing the picture of Jimmy on True Grit really brought back fantastic memories of so many wonderful people. Jimmy and Furniss were agents in the purchase of that beautiful bay stallion for Munroe and Margie Plemmons and Edith and Roy Wilcox, owners of Long Leaf Timber in Chatom, AL. True Grit was probably the last horse Jimmy trained, and I will check with one of the sons of the trainer of Black Angel to be sure this information is correct.....

Connie has invited me many times to join back with you folks......I remember Everett is on Trivia, as was the wonderful Tony....and Cissy, and Junior, and Sheila.......I look forward to sharing info and memories again with you great folks.........

Sarah Lynn
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:06 am

Nope......try again! bounce
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 8:18 am

Welcome Sarah Lynn...I am so happy to have you with us!! I have read some of your posts in our Trivia Archive...not quite sure what that site was called at that time; but I believe it was how this site originated?? You will be a true asset to this this site; your knowledge and memory is amazing! I knew you "back in the day" as we so fondly call it around here and am very happy that our paths have crossed once again. I am Kim Lovette and showed in the '60s and '70s...left the business in '75 (not because we wanted to; unfortunate circumstances) and still miss my TWH to this day. We will talk more on another thread. This one is for Jimmy...hasn't it been a great thread!! I remember him well and was fortunate enough to see him perform at some of those great exhibitor parties of yesteryear. He was truly talented!!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 am

Here is the photo I was seeking. I could have sworn I had a bigger version with better quality, but I guess not.
This is SUN'S GLORY BOY & Jimmy Ellis. This team won the Walking Pony World Championship back in 1964.

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 SunsGloryBoyJimmyEllis
Back to top Go down
bledsoesl@aol.com

bledsoesl@aol.com

PostSubject: Ellis Stables, Orrville, Alabama & Les Nelson photographer   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:03 am

OMG Kim...........Wonderful to hear from you.......I guess we need to begin another topic and not try to catch up on so many years on Jimmy's forum......but I must share with you that I have some broodstock TWhorses on a beautiful ranch on the N. Wilkesboro side of Lenoir that is owned by Gail and Richard Greer. Oftentimes I go thru N. Wilkesboro back to I-85 and think of you every time I travel that route.....Because David died and I am alone (back in Fayetteville), and because I am still very much involved with the horses, my mind wanders back to the days when we all were together so often at all those great horse shows so many years ago......

As for WHTrivia web site, I think this began when WHReport became a paid site several years ago........I had begun a thread on David Howard's forum that was devoted to 'trivia' focusing our rich and colorful past with these horses......Many on that web site ceased to participate when David began charging, but so long as it lasted as a free forum many of us shared really valuable information and history......I believe that WHReport forum was probably the longest and most actively visited web site of any about our horses.......

I'll try to figure out how to begin a new thread here on trivia and we can all play 'catch-up'.........In the meantime, I plan to give Ken some AL contacts for info about Jimmy....

Again, great to hear from you.......I'm identified by my email address, so please drop me a line and let me know where you live........

Sarah Lynn

Back to top Go down
Ken1980

Ken1980

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 am

bledsoesl@aol.com wrote:
(I am not accustomed to this site even though I was once a member......I am unfamiliar with the format and hope I make no mistakes in posting.)

I know a few facts about Jimmy, but I know more info about his parents, Furniss and Mary Faye Ellis.......
Jimmy was adopted and raised as an only child. My family first met the Ellis family in the mid 1960's....because of the horses. Jimmy's avocation as a child was horses, and he chose as an adult to become a professional trainer rather than to remain an amateur competitor. He was raised on the very large Ellis Farm, located in Dallas County, Orrville, Alabama, a small community situated close to Selma. Jimmy's father, Furniss, was actively involved in politics at both the county and state levels, being County Commissioner of Dallas County for many years - even during the famed 'Selma to Montgomery March in 1965 which happened around the the time-frame of the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement.

It was my privilege to visit with them in their beautiful old home on various occasions. The farm was very large and produced various crops such as cotton and corn, and simultaneously produced many notable Tennessee Walking Horses. I have scanned over the info presented and it all seems to be correct insofar as the horse involvement. I would like to note that a visit at the Ellis farm was almost like stepping into the pages of 1800's literature about the South because of the vast farming enterprise, the beautiful horses and foals grazing the pastures, the classic old home, and the grace and style with which Mary Faye and Furniss entertained their guests.

Jimmy was a tall and very handsome young man wiht very dark hair who spoke with a long southern drawl. He had a natural talent for music and developed into an extremely good singer much in the style of Elvis Presley, after whom I always thought Jimmy patterned his entereainment style. Jimmy did frequently entertain the horse folks at parties held in conjunction with the major horse shows.

I knew Mildred and the son but have had no contact with her for many years.

I can give you the names iof some individuals in south Alabama who, if still living, can assist you with far more information than I would post online...

Sarah Lynn Bledsoe

Hello Sarah!
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge about the Ellises. Did not know all this. Really valuable info for the book!
Do you remember the year that Jimmy started singing at the parties you attended? Also would there be any chance at all that these "concerts" were recorded - or does it exist any photos from these events?

I was also wondering if you knew how old Jimmy was when he was adopted by Furness and Mary Faye? I heard four years old but I have a birth certificate stating they were interested in Jimmy right from his birth..? Jimmy also had a brother and a sister that was adopted as well. From what I heard they contacted Jimmy after he got famous for singing, they met and Jimmy eventually ended their contact as he did not think too much of them.

I was also wondering if anyone has seen any wedding photo of Jimmy and Mildred Martin? And I read from the nice article posted here that they married in 1968 but I would like to know the date as well. Heard they also married twice?

Would love to get in touch with others in south Alabama who knew Jimmy, so if you send any contact infos my way it is much appreciated. :)

Smitty, thanks for the photo of Jimmy and Suns Glory Boy. That was new to my eyes. Also thanks for adding the logo to my name here. I actually designed that one for Jimmys 65th birthday last february. :)

Glad to have you new members on board on my Ellis facebook group too! :)

Best,
Kenneth
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks again everyone.

Sara Lynn, at your request, I have started a new TOPIC called "Memories from Yesteryear".
This is a place for everyone to catch up and share old memories and stories once again.

I'm going to let you direct this one. You are much more qualified than I in this area, so I'm going to stand back and let you take it in any direction you choose.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 am

Would that be Jimmy Ellis? He won the Pony Championship on Sun's Glory Boy and also trained Ebony's True Grit prior to Joe Fleming winning the WGC with him.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:50 am

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Jimmy Ellis is CORRECT! (According to the article I posted on the Jimmy Ellis topic....)

dance
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 10:59 am

Ken, I had printed off some information that I found on this site long ago and cannot locate on the site now....the date was January 13 and included many of the pics that Smitty has posted on this thread.

It says that Jimmy was born in Washington, DC February 26, 1945 to a single parent. Also notes that "like Elvis, his mother's name was Gladys". Further states that when he was 2, Gladys and Jimmy moved to Birmingham, AL where he was put up for adoption, becoming James Hughes Ellis.

He reportedly said that his first public appearance was at the age of 17, Orville High School "Religious Emphasis" week where he sang "Peace In THe Vally". Later won the finals of a talent contest in Alabama which allowed him a trip to the Ted Mack Amateur Hour (tv show) and $1000 savings bond. It does not mention that he made the trip nor how he did if he went on the Amateur Hour show.

Mentions his college days and then moves into his singing career. This bio information never mentions any ties to the walking horse industry. No idea as to the source of this information as it is not referenced/cited.

Since he was adopted in Birmingham, (Jefferson County) , Alabama, you might be able to obtain a birth certificate. But not sure if they would have reissued one since he was reportedly born in Washington, DC, and not sure that a non-family member can even access it. The Jefferson County Board of Health number is 205 933-9110, ask for the office for birth records/birth certificates....I have had to obtain birth/death certificates and not always found them to be particularly helpful, but you might get lucky. Might even be a way to do it online.
Guess there would also be a possibility that the Ellises had a birth certificate issued in the county of their residence, which I would presume to be Dallas County Health Department in Selma, AL.

The rules/regulations are different now and the birth certificate is always the county of the official birth (ie, Washington , DC), but not sure how it would have been in the 40's and in regard to adoption.

Last edited by MirallyMeadows on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bledsoesl@aol.com

bledsoesl@aol.com

PostSubject: Ellis Stables, Orrvile, Alabama & Les Nelson photographer   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 11:08 am

Ken, In the interest of privacy and because I was a close friend of Jimmy's parents, there is information I would not want to share........

Jimmy was very young when he began his life with Furniss and Mary Faye and they really circled their entire life around him. The adoption was 'private'.......

Even though the 'farm' actually was plantation size and Furniss was heavily involved in the local, area and state government issues along with his farming enterprise, there were many workers on the farm which allowed Furniss to devote a great amount of his time to Mary Faye, Jimmy and the horses........

Mary Faye was an extremely elegant and gracious lady in every sense of the word...........Her life was centered around 'running the home' and her family, and she had much assistance in the day-to-day home management......The Ellis Family was extremely well respected and leaders in the church, community, civic issues at both the local and state levels, and everyone held the family in great esteem......In addition, they were heavily involved in the TWH Industry locally in Alabama and also in Tennessee which is the focal point of the TWH Industry management.......

To answer your questions about recordings of the parties and events where Jimmy entertained us at equine parties and events, I seriously doubt any exist. I do remember having a huge party event in 'Shelbyville (probably during our Celebration, the world championship event) where Furniss had rented a large building adequately situated for a really big party where Jimmy entertained lots of us.........This was during the time-frame when Jimmy began his focus more to the music world than on the horses. This was really a first-rate performance......and his backup band was one of the top-notch groups that played backup with Elvis - either the Stamps or the Jordaineres (can't remember which as I believe he was accompanied by both groups from time-to-time.)

Because of the proximity to Nashville, and because some of the Country Music stars were also involved with the TWH and sometimes participated as entertainers at our Celebration, we in the TWH Industry were privileged to know some of the more famous Country Music entertaiers. It was a general consensus that Jimmy was as good as any, and better than some of those Nashville entertainers who received more acclaim than he achieved.......

Please know I am writing to you from my memory about events that happened long ago.......And you also must also know it was the mid 1960's when my family and I first knew the Ellis family...........Jimmy was about 20 years old when I first knew him. I never knew him as a child.....

I must edit to add some information........In my first response to Ken's questions I said a visit to Dallas County with the Ellises was like walking back in time..........Their lifestyle, though hard-working, extremely productive, centered around the community /civic responsibilities / church etc., a visit was very similar to reading the rich Southern History of the 1800's......In addition to the Ellis family, there were many other deep-south families who were involved with TWH breeding, raising and competitions......These huge farming enterprises were long establlished years and decades previously back when horses were the work animals as well as the transportation........In the old South, equine breeding prowess was a must for both the working stock and for the stock used as conveyance..........When automation happened (cars, trucks, farming equipment), the old-South "genetlemen" concentrated on producing outstanding bloodstock.....The TWH equine species has certain inherent traits and characteristics that caused it to readily adapt to becoming a leader in the equine performance world....especially in the southland. Even here in NC I remember my grandfather used the TWH because of the wonderful single-foot gait even though he originated from a family that had always raised and used the American Saddlehorse for conveyance and pleasure.

Last edited by bledsoesl@aol.com on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ken1980

Ken1980

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 11:11 am

Molly, The story you tell here is also what I have heard. However I was told by Jimmys road manager and friend, Steve Kelley that Jimmy was in fact born in Pascagoula, Mississippi. So this is why I am anxious to get the when and whereabouts confirmed by people who knew hte Ellises.

Jimmy did win the trip to Ted Mack Amateur show. However I do not think he went there cause I talked to those who owns all the shows and they had records of anyone particiapting in it, and no record of Jimmy Hodges or Jimmy Ellis was to be found.

Thanks for the phone number, I will give it a try and hope to catch them on a helpful day. :)
Back to top Go down
Ken1980

Ken1980

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 am

Sarah, This is also what I have been hearing about the Ellis family, that they loved Jimmy more than anything else. They seemed like a great couple and I knew they must have been very proud of Jimmy. When you say the adoption was 'private', what does that mean? Please know I am not after juicy stories or anything like that. I just want my book the have the correct fact information and I want to do this as a nice tribute to a talented mans life. It will all be done in good taste.

I did not knew Jimmy entertained so much for the TWH events. And I agree that he was equal and if not better than any act to come out of Nashville.

Also understand this was many years ago and memories can be a bit foggy. But please know that everything posted here is of great help! :)

Best,
Kenneth
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Ken,

That's an amazing job you did on that ORION logo!............you must be a Photoshop Master.

bow down
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 EmptySun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I know the intent of this thread is not particularly as a memorial, but I would like to request that SL start off with a synopsis of her late and much beloved husband/father/horse trainer, David Bledsoe. I suspect most of those on here will know David at some level as I did. But, I don't know how he got his start...But, clearly remember meeting them in the 60's on their arrival to the Alabama show circuit as a judge, trainer and exhibitor! I always considered them Alabamians!

SL, if you find this too uncomfortable, I will understand.

Never saw either of them when they didn't have a smile and kind word. Always promoters of the TWH, supporting amateurs and particularly, juvenile riders!

I can also recall a WHAA banquet in Cullman, either at the ALL-Steak (probably according to my memory) or perhaps, the Country Club. I believe this was the late 70's or maybe, early 80's....there was a band! Which immediately sent my heart racing as I always longed to dance, but clearly inherited 2 LEFT feet and NEVER danced in public. Still don't...though I can do choreographed routines in the privacy of my own home (LOL).

Anyway, none other than MR DAVID BLEDSOE, approaches me for a dance. How could I refuse the sweetest man (other than my Daddy) present in the room. Thankfully, it was a SLOW dance and I only squashed his toes a few times, but was left one of very few memories that I have of dancing! I'm quite sure that he had no idea what a simple (and painful for him) dance meant to me.

Well, if you include my only dance recital at age, 5 where my dance partner and I caught our feather head-dresses together while doing London bridge and remained stuck head-to-head until the teacher came out to disconnect us like conjoined twins...Perhaps this fueled my public dance phobia. affraid What cha think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!
Page 19 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22 ... 26  Next