WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 6

Go down 
+38
sowega
Floyd
Newt Masterpiece
barn2648
poppyshed
thirdworkout
rhinestone
rwitherington1
mhickman
dutch
Rambler
Magic Marker
mona dean
High Chaparral
Sugarfoot
Pushingrage
sensation61
The Stats Man
MirallyMeadows
dbarnett
Hill
jryan
maskr8ng
twhboss
tc1987
samara_farms
BigEd
ONEHOTMARE
The Man in Black
Santana1
Black Fantasy 1
bledsoesl@aol.com
senator69
Old Graymare
Bubbadog
curbchain
smitty
Jean
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 am

olympic
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 am

Olympic is CORRECT! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 pm

HC...Yes but not for long. When we bought Johnny's Rebel Maid we bought a package deal...we got her and Johnny Jr. and Delight's Deadringer. Larry Gribble was their owner and Vic Thompson brokered the deal for us. We loved Rebel and was hoping that the Johnny Midnight horses were all going to be that good!! We were hoping Johnny Jr. would make a top notch Amateur horse. Unfortunately he just wasn't quite the quality horse that Rebel turned out to be...of course not many were. I may be wrong but I believe I only showed him one season..I think that was 1974?? I had been able to ride and show my horses extensively because I was living in middle Tn and going to MTSU. At my families insistence I moved to go to college in NC but did come back to show Rebel in the 1975 Celebration and a few other shows (Larry Webb showed her in '74 as a 4 yr old). At the time I didn't know it but the '75 Celebration was to be my last.
Back to top Go down
Magic Marker

Magic Marker

PostSubject: flat walk and canter   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 2:41 pm

What has happened to the 1234 beat flat walk and the rocking chair canter?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm

The 1-2-3-4 beat has turned into the cha-cha and sometimes the salsa (and often a mixture of the two).
The canter has gone the way of the dodo........(I don't understand this, somebody explain it to me)
I also wonder why the TAILS look like crap???scratch head

I'm just old school I reckon........

old man
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 5:57 pm

You still see those two gaits on the better flat shod hosses but they are just about a thing of the past with the padded hosses.
Back to top Go down
Magic Marker

Magic Marker

PostSubject: What has happened   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:17 pm

to teach a horse to canter is much easier for 2 coming 3 than 3 coming 4 and they never forget. It may be that the feet have to be better than perfect it's undesirable to teach the canter. Mr Glo could sure do the flat walk
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Mr. Glo   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I used to watch MR. Glo show about every Saturday night when he was at his best. He would "Jar" the ground as he passed down the rail in a flat walk. Alot of the horses today would not mash you finger. Big difference!!!
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I mentioned Dead Ringer above...I showed him in Amateur classes too. Larry showed him at the Celebration in the 3 yr old class but I showed him at several of the one nighters. I think we replaced Johnny with Dead Ringer...for some reason my memory is very fuzzy on this though?? :scratch:

A horse I have wondered about is Senator? Do you remember him? He won the 2 yr old stallion class in '73 for owner Bob Buckner then my Daddy bought him for either a stake horse for Larry or amateur horse for me (depending on how he did). He was one more awesome son of a gun the night he won that 2 yr old class...funny how I can remember that far better than anything about Johnny Jr!! Everyone thought he was going to be the next "Star"!! Then he turned out to be "hot and cold"...sometimes he was great and others not worth a dime. I still held out hope for him because he had so much natural walk to him but of course we got out of the business and I never knew what happened to him. Do you or anyone else know?? Question
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

As well as not moving in time; they can't shake their heads nor are they set either. When this "new gate" was created their entire balance was compromised. This does not apply to all of today's horses but to a good majority of them.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm

Hill, your Dad sold J J to a Mr. R.J. Rupert in 1974 and he died the next year at age 10. I guess you knew that he was third in the 2 y.o. stud class in 67. That was the same year Possum Brock won the other 2 y.o. stud class and 2 y.o. WGC with Double Delight O and was reserve(and many thought should have won) in the WGC with Mr. Glo. Ole Possum had an impressive string that year.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm

MIB..Thanks a bunch! I couldn't remember how long we owned him!! I thought it was only a year. I knew he was a good young horse and actually Possum had done pretty well with him in stake classes too...but maybe more outside of Tn. I hate to hear he died so soon after we sold him..and relatively young too. Hard to believe that happened to two of them!! What do you remember about Senator (our big chestnut/sorrel colt)??
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Magic Marker wrote:
What has happened to the 1234 beat flat walk and the rocking chair canter?

Damn good question.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 am

Hill, I remember Senator well as a 2 y.o. He was a big colt, looked like an aged stud rather than a 2 y.o.. I saw him make his first show I think in Watertown and he was the talk of the show. I think he won his class at the Celebration that year but was turned down for the championship.
Your dad sold him in 76 and he changed hands quite a few times after that. According to IPEDS he had 30 foals registered to him. No death date given.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 am

Who was the editor for The Blue Ribbon during the 80's?

Question
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm

We bought Senator at the Celebration when he was a 2 yr old...can't remember if the sale was finalized before or after the show but I know the negotiations were going on during the show. I can still see him in the ring in the 2 yr old stud class...Wow!!! You are right he was one big filled out colt!! The two horses that we were hoping we were going to be able to hold onto were Rebel and Senator. Big hopes for those two but sometimes no matter how hard you've worked or how much you want and wish this old life will throw you a curve ball. Crying or Very sad

Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 SenatorLarryWebb-1
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: 1234 flat walk and canter   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 pm

First of all a large number of amateur riders cannot canter a horse. Second, some trainers cannot break a horse to canter properly. I am talking about a Rockin Chair Canter. As far as the good 1234 flatwalk you have to give a horse time and stay out of his mouth when he is young. Marvin Wilson told me one time when you get a horse right on the ground his head will be about right. I have thought a lot about that statement and tend to agree. The gait we see today is something between a Show Rack and flat walk. I call it a "racky" flat walk. The good horses of yester year would Push and pull and shake their heads. My Magic Marker was a great example of this. Bottom line is colts are not given enough time to develop a good flat foot walk. It is hard to work 40 to 50 head and take time with them. My opinion.
Back to top Go down
Santana1

Santana1

PostSubject: Elvis Pressley's Horses   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:12 pm

In 1973 during the spring Murray Farm Sale, I purchased a yearling stud colt from Billy Hale during the Wednesday afternoon sale. At that time I had a few stalls rented from SW for the purpose of cleaning up unbroke yearlings and re-selling them at the Friday/Saturday sales. Jackie McConnell purchased this colt from me before I had a chance to run him back through the sale. His name was Ebony's Double!!

Jackie tells me that he sold the colt to Elvis later the next year. Funny how being at the right place at the right time ties you to historical events.

Double is the Black TWH that is shown on a film at Graceland with Elvis in the saddle. I didn't find all this out until December 1993 when Betty Freeman and I sold Santana to the Shermans through Jackie.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 pm

This is a good article on Ebony's Double and Elvis' other horses. It mentions when Double was brought to the Celebration (with Prescilla in attendance) and ridden by Alene (barn manager at Graceland) for his retirement.
Rambler...You might be able to use this for the Elvis article you are doing???

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/ebonys_double_elvis_last__horse.shtml
Back to top Go down
Magic Marker

Magic Marker

PostSubject: Flatwalk canter   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Chap your probably right but those gaits made TWH a unique show horse and should not be discarded. My opinion MMM
Back to top Go down
Rambler

Rambler

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi, Santana1 - Little did you know that you'd had a brush with history. :) Ebony's Double didn't pass on until 2005, a nice long time.

Did Jackie work at GLL Farms back in the day? That's where everything I've read about Ebony's Double says he was bought.

Hill - That Australian Elvis site has a lot of great articles about Graceland's horses on it. The MidSouth Horse Review has a couple of good 'uns, too.

http://www.midsouthhorsereview.com/articles/2009/10/01/news/news00.txt
http://www.midsouthhorsereview.com/articles/2010/09/01/news/news22.txt
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehorseyset.net
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Thats right Rambler..Double lived to be 32 years of age. He was treated well at Graceland!! Here is a short article on his death.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news/ebonys_double_dies_age_32.shtml
Back to top Go down
Rambler

Rambler

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

As I've been reading all those Graceland horses stories, I believe I wouldn't mind retiring at Graceland! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehorseyset.net
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Here's some little known trivia....

What do Elvis Presley and Everett Majors have in common..........???

Question
Back to top Go down
dbarnett

dbarnett

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Harold Twitty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 6
Page 10 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next