WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 6

Go down 
+38
sowega
Floyd
Newt Masterpiece
barn2648
poppyshed
thirdworkout
rhinestone
rwitherington1
mhickman
dutch
Rambler
Magic Marker
mona dean
High Chaparral
Sugarfoot
Pushingrage
sensation61
The Stats Man
MirallyMeadows
dbarnett
Hill
jryan
maskr8ng
twhboss
tc1987
samara_farms
BigEd
ONEHOTMARE
The Man in Black
Santana1
Black Fantasy 1
bledsoesl@aol.com
senator69
Old Graymare
Bubbadog
curbchain
smitty
Jean
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Harold Twitty is CORRECT! thumbs up .....looks like we got ourselves anutha playa !!!
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Flat walk and canter   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Magic Marker, I agree 100%!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:10 pm

There was a story about Magic Marker having to call a time out when he shook the bridle off his head and I always wondered if that was fact or myth. scratch head
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Well, truth is Elvis & Everett have a whole lot in common, but the answer is:

Their close friends both called them "E".........

Here's 20 more little known facts about Elvis:

http://factoidz.com/20-little-known-facts-about-elvis-presley/
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 MagicMarkerAd
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Country Horse Shows   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Do any of you folks remember the Old time country horse shows that included walking hosses, three and five gaited american saddlebreds, hackney ponies and roadster to bike? Did not matter what kind of horses you showed everyone would hit the rail when the roadster to bike class came in. I truely enjoyed those days and I think to average spectator like the diversity. OOP'S, I forgot about the fried chicken and biscuits after the show. Good old days.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:43 pm

YES, YES, YES!!!!

That is what I miss the most. What I grew up on. The old county fair shows.....the atmosphere was incredible.
I have talked about those good ole days many, many times on here.
In a very real sense...........those days and times were the TRUE inspiration for this site.

HOW BOUT THE HOME-MADE PIE & CAKE???
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Old time's   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 pm

My grandmother would bring enough home cookin to feed half of the people there. All she could get in a trunk of her car!!!!!!!

I have heard a lot of people say years later the reason the multi breed shows did not last was because they could not get along with each other. My grandmother taught me a great life lesson that if you treat people with respect and "feedum" good, most everyone can get along!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by High Chaparral on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 7:52 pm

It was pot luck every weekend with the stable I was with. All the women would bring dishes. It was too much food for one person to eat but you HAD to sample all of it. You didn't want to hurt any of those fine ladies feelings, you know.
Tater Salad.................yum! Loved them deviled eggs too! bounce
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Multi breed shows are the only way to keep horse shows vibrant and attract folks to come to horse shows and be entertained. Having only single breed shows does not appeal to the average Joe.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 pm

MIB,

I agree totally. The ASB/TWH split was one of the worst things that has ever happened to the breed.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Those horse shows were how I found the breed! I was showing quarter horses and saw the magnificent Walking Horse at one of those country horse shows. I fell in love with them and so did my Daddy. It wasn't long before we were making the weekend shows with a TWH and my little buckskin quarter gelding. Part of the deal was he had to to come along so I could continue to do barrels and western pick-up...somehow I thought his feelings were going to be hurt if we left him behind (he did act like he loved doing those!!). Now that really was the best way to go to a show!! I remember running to the rail for roadster to bike and the crowd going wild for the ASB's when they called for that final rack. We wouldn't get away from there until the wee hours of the morning and would roll into N. Wilkesboro about time everyone thought we should have an early breakfast. We would stop at Baker's Dozen (a little 24 hour diner) and my Daddy would always order brains and eggs...I would invariably squirm and squeal. He would always clean his plate and smile...I don't know which he enjoyed most..the food or my total revulsion at his choice of food. Such fond memories!! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Country horse shows   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Those hog brains and eggs sound good to me. Now that brings back old memories.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Do any of yall remember how big the crowds were and how they filled the grandstands and bleachers and how the APPLAUSE sounded different than it does now??? It was a extended applause............polite hand-clapping from a real audience..........very little whooping and hollering.

Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Ahhhh... good memories. I used to love the Saddlebreds. There were several barns in Middle Tennessee....Brownview, John Crawford, Pete Yokley, and several others whose names escape me right now. You are so right about the roadster to bike classes. We even had a few times, especially at the Ellington Ag Center, where the hunter/jumpers had some classes, usually at the start of the show. I learned to appreciate all the breeds, but my first love was always the TN Walker. The audience would "get into" the show and there was much clapping and hollering. The food was always a treat ... homemade ice cream, pies, cakes, "real" hamburgers, fried chicken... the list goes on and on. Good times!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rambler

Rambler

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:57 am

Came third as an Elvis impersonator. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehorseyset.net
Rambler

Rambler

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 8:04 am

Today's Elvis's birthday. If he were still with us, he'd be 76.

Here's the link to that Elvis-and-walking-horses article I was asking about earlier this week. You'll get a kick out of Connie's stories. And I found a photo of Howard and Ebony's Double at Ol' Ebony's Celebration retirement ceremony. I couldn't get ahold of Howard for this year, but maybe for next year's?

http://thehorseyset.net/7508/walking-with-elvis-some-family-memories-with-tennessee-walking-horses/
Back to top Go down
http://www.thehorseyset.net
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

What was the first TWH to sell for a considerable amount of money?

Question
Back to top Go down
dutch

dutch

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 am

Carbon Copy?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 9:57 am

No, this was WAY before his time. By significant amount of money, I mean more than a thousand bucks....
Back to top Go down
samara_farms

samara_farms

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 am

Yep up north the circuit went from the big 3 day shows all theway down to the saddle club shows. It was nothing to see the world champion contenders(and WCs) from just about any breed show at not only the big shows, but pop up at the little middle of nowhere show. I miss those shows, and the crowds. We all got along no matter what you showed or trained...
Back to top Go down
BigEd

BigEd

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am

The reason the tails look so bad on horses today is because of the driving harness style crupper rig that the trainers use. It is idiot proof, perfect for horses that haven't had their tail cared for correctly, no circulation problems if left on too long, quick, a shortcut to success. I HATE them. Makes a show horse look like a work horse. If you don't use the brace that was the standard for years, you should find another way to make a living. Now you know how I feel about them. A quote a old timer once said: "looks like there wearin tennis shoes with a tuxedo"
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 am

We also had Arabians down in Alabama...my favorite classes to watch were Arabian costume and the ASB in Parade classes. Guess I liked "bling" as a kid!
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: country Horse Shows   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I agree with all of you.I remember all of our little Sunday afternoon Shows up in Ohio in the 60's.Not many shows for Eng. on Saturdays that was when the Western horses would do their thing.We had a ball !Then as I got a little older all of the shows I went to in WVa. Va. and Ky.,I love those ole County Shows they were GREAT !!I get ticked off when they call those little country boy shows "outlaw shows" now just because they aren't affiliated with some HIO !!!
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: flat walk and canter   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 1:04 pm

I think you all have hit the nail on the head about this subject.Most trainers have too many horses to take the proper amount of time with each horse.I can remember a time when we didn't dog walk at all,but we would flat walk them to death.I think most young trainers don't have a good old time trainer to teach them how to rockin chair canter.I loved it when Dude Crowder worked with Jason Day and now I hear that Ernest Upton has started to work with Mac Benham.I think it is GREAT when some of these older trainers want to go and help some of these young fellers.To me that is the only way some of these young trainers will ever learn how to properly train a horse to rockin chair canter.
Chap I must know you if you knew Marvin Wilson.Please get in touch with me @ flatwalker33809@yahoo.com .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 6
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next