WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 6

Go down 
+38
sowega
Floyd
Newt Masterpiece
barn2648
poppyshed
thirdworkout
rhinestone
rwitherington1
mhickman
dutch
Rambler
Magic Marker
mona dean
High Chaparral
Sugarfoot
Pushingrage
sensation61
The Stats Man
MirallyMeadows
dbarnett
Hill
jryan
maskr8ng
twhboss
tc1987
samara_farms
BigEd
ONEHOTMARE
The Man in Black
Santana1
Black Fantasy 1
bledsoesl@aol.com
senator69
Old Graymare
Bubbadog
curbchain
smitty
Jean
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Besides classes for Tennessee Walkers & Saddlebreds, what other types of classes were often offered at many horse shows in the 1930's & 1940's?

Question
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm

The early Celebrations had lots of mule classes.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 7:54 am

Yes, that's certainly true, but in the early days many of the larger multi-breed shows also offered classes for HUNTER-JUMPERS, or at least that's what I'm seeing from reading some old show results. This was especially true in the Northern states, such as Pennsylvania & New York.
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:27 am

The old Tennessee State Horse Show was mostly walking horses, but it opened each night with Hunter/Jumpers. Some of them were huge and looked so clumsy just galloping around, but could sail so gracefully over the high jumps.
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: trivia   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:25 pm

In Ohio we had alot of Multi-Breed shows with Hunter - Jumper classes and Mogans, Arabians ,SB the whole deal.Our Western classes were always on Sat. and English on Sundays.
Back to top Go down
rhinestone

rhinestone

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm

The horse show in Chapel Hill also had jumping classes at the start of the show. I always thought I would enjoy doing that. My parents didn't agree.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 am

In the 1960's the horse show I remember best for it's Hunter/Jumper classes was in Blowing Rock NC. I won my first blue ribbon at this show. At one time I had some wonderful old pictures taken at this show but they are among those that are missing (these might be found again one day as they were last seen at my aunt's house and she never throws anything away..I keep hoping??). The Blowing Rock Show was a big show for Hunter/Jumpers and ASB's..the TWH had become popular with the spectators also; but not so sure they were as welcome by those other breeds?? This show was one of the first multi-day shows I attended; maybe 2 or 3 days?? I can remember the jumping classes were held in the mornings and afternoons; most of the hunt seat and equitation in the afternoons; and performance classes at night. This was how class line-ups were in pretty much all the shows where there were Hunter/Jumpers. There were several shows where I can remember seeing them; but I can't recall many at the "one-nighters". The NC State Championships had a good number of classes for Hunter/Jumpers.

Those "one-nighters" (or Saddle Club shows) were popular for their mix of Quarter Horses (or Western); ASB's (English Gaited); and the TWH...and maybe Hunt-seat but not over fences?? I showed Quarter Horses before I showed TWH and continued to show them my first year and even off and on after that. I had a little buckskin gelding that I used as a barrel racing horse plus I would do poles and western pick-up if I could find a partner..and of course the ever popular "fastest horse around the track". Not all the shows had the "fastest" class but it sure was a fun class...for riders and spectators alike..lots of whoopin' and a hollerin'...pure cowboy fun!! It was always the last class of afternoon and occasionally they would do another one that night. If they offered the class; you could count on seeing Buck and me right there waiting our turn!!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:03 am

Who was the first president of the Walking Horse Trainers Association?

Question
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:32 am

Vic Thompson, 1968
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 5:50 pm

CORRECT! 2 Thumbs Up! The first Trainer's Show was held in 1969.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 7:46 am

What trainer holds the record for the MOST Trainer's Show stake class wins?

Question
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 am

Several have won the Trainers' Show a couple of times but I think Ramsey has the most wins. I think he won it 3 times with Rising Star and once with Wired.

On a related note, do any of you remember when Wink won with Majority Leaders? Does anyone remember the big, hollow? chains and all of the uproar it caused? Definitely a high point in Trainers' Show history.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 9:19 am

CORRECT! Ramsey has won it 4 times, Wink Groover won it 3 times. There is a another trainer that has won it 4 times...

The controversy at the Stone Mt Trainer show with Wink & The Majority Leader is no doubt the most talked-about topic in the history of the Trainer's Show and one of the most-discussed in the history of the breed.

I remember several folks coming back from that show saying The Majority Leader was the best horse they had ever seen.
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Okay, I had to cheat a little to stir my memory, but Larry Edwards is the other trainer with quadruple wins in the Trainers' Show Stake. He won it with Cold Ice 2x, Perfect Cut and Cash's All Star.
Back to top Go down
dutch

dutch

PostSubject: Where Are They Now?   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 am

I would like to know where or what some of the trainers from older times are doing now. Since I haven't been around for along time. Some may even be deceased. I would like to start a new topic called where are they now. For instance, Ramsey Bullington, SammyDay, Ray Gilmore to just name a few.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 am

Good topic Dutch!

Ramsey Bullington is retired, but still pretty busy with cattle & farming in Franklin, Tn I think.
I'll let OHM fill us in on that.

Sammy Day was working some colts at Yokely's last I heard (?)

Bob McQuerry was still training with his son Allen in Harrodsburg as of a couple of years ago.
I saw him win a class at Frankfort year before last

David Mason is "ALIVE & WELL" and breeding dogs in Wartrace, Tennessee.
http://www.masonpatterdales.00go.com/
I usually see Mason at the Shelbyville Horse Show & The Ky State Fair every year

Bill Bobo is still training and just won a class at the Trainer's Show this week

Everett Majors is retired and living in Weechi Wachee, Florida last we heard.
Hope we hear from him again some day.

Sorry to say, Wink Groover passed away last year. He was a great trainer and one of a kind.

J.T. Leech passed on this past January and Marianne followed him last month.

Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 12:31 pm

What about Joe Weaver? I know that Joel is working horses still, but what about Joe? I worked for Joe for a year or two in Murfreesboro and he was quite a good horseman but also never failed to see and provide comedy of the highest order! Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 39096
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Ray Gilmer is still training.
Back to top Go down
MirallyMeadows

MirallyMeadows

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Last I heard Joel was not working horses, but doing something related to hunting....not sure about Joe.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:22 pm

1. Name a dessert at Pope's Cafe named after a popular Country Singer.

2. Who rode Premier Delight in England with Queen Elizabeth present?

3. What former NFL Football team owner also owned a walking horse stable?
Bonus if you can name the football team...

Question
Back to top Go down
dutch

dutch

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks to everybody for the answers. I remember Mason from the old WHT site on the Report. Wonder who the oldest World Grand Champion trainer that is still living? What about thess : Buddy Kirby, Doug Wolaver, Richard and Dickie Pate, Dude Crowder and Jay Cobb in Ohio.
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 pm

I saw Joe last night from a distance. He looked good. I don't know if he is still working horses or not, but when Joel was still training I know that he told me that he had the "back barn" and was the one who gave Joel's horses a "last chance at success". Joel was at the trainer's show last night as well, but I don't think he trains anymore. His son, Lake, rides as does his daughter, Stratton.

Buddy Kirby passed a lot of years ago. Brenda is married to Ernest Upton.

Doug Wolaver still has a few horses....I think mostly spotted...and still lives in Cornersville. I haven't seen him show in many years. His father, Myron, passed some time ago and his mother, just a few weeks ago.

Russell Pate is married to a sister of Allan Callaway's wife. Barbara Pate, Becky Woodruff, and Karen Callaway are all sisters. Russell and Barbara live in Shelbyville. She works at one of the banks. I haven't seen him ride in years. Seems I remember that Dickie died, but I am not sure about that.

Dude Crowder is still around and did ride some. I don't know about now.

If I am wrong about any of these, please feel free to make corrections. OHM will know all about everyone!!!! She is still much "in the loop".
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 5:10 pm

My guess is that Doug Wolaver is the oldest living trainer.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:44 pm

I would say either Doug or Billy Gray would be the oldest. I think Doug was 22 when he won on Handshaker in 60 so that would put him around 72 or 73, I don't know Billy's age but it would have to be 70+ I would think. Bud Seaton might be in the running too. :scratch:
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 pm

3 Joe Wright I think he had part ownership of one of the Texas teams, Cowboys or Oilers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 29 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 6
Page 29 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next