WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 6

Go down 
+38
sowega
Floyd
Newt Masterpiece
barn2648
poppyshed
thirdworkout
rhinestone
rwitherington1
mhickman
dutch
Rambler
Magic Marker
mona dean
High Chaparral
Sugarfoot
Pushingrage
sensation61
The Stats Man
MirallyMeadows
dbarnett
Hill
jryan
maskr8ng
twhboss
tc1987
samara_farms
BigEd
ONEHOTMARE
The Man in Black
Santana1
Black Fantasy 1
bledsoesl@aol.com
senator69
Old Graymare
Bubbadog
curbchain
smitty
Jean
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Might be right MIB.....but I'm thinking of a more high-profile, famous owner...
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 pm

3. Wasn't Joe Wright it was ???? I want to say Bob Something.
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Fred Turner, owned Triple Threat and the Oilers...that's what Bubbadog and I think.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

....ain't da one I'm thinkin of. This man made the papers all the time

Hint: he also owned the L.A. Lakers at one time!
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 pm

MIB, I guess I was thinking about it in a different way. I was figuring the one who won the Championship the most distant in the past. Hmmmmm.........another example of my warped thinking patterns!!! I think you are right about Billy Gray. Bud Seaton would have to be right there with him too. Hard to believe Doug is that old, but do believe your "ciphering" to be correct.

Back to top Go down
High Chaparral

High Chaparral

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 10:33 pm

smitty wrote:
CORRECT! Ramsey has won it 4 times, Wink Groover won it 3 times. There is a another trainer that has won it 4 times...

The controversy at the Stone Mt Trainer show with Wink & The Majority Leader is no doubt the most talked-about topic in the history of the Trainer's Show and one of the most-discussed in the history of the breed.

I remember several folks coming back from that show saying The Majority Leader was the best horse they had ever seen.
I was at the trainers show that night when Wink dropped on the big chains. TML looked a little better, but most of his AGED career, he was a long striding cob roller!!!!!! You could hear the chains hit as he went around the ring.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 am

As far as I know, Betty Sain is still living, but has had some tough times.

Jimmy & Jackie McConnell are still training. Jimmy has had great success in the last decade

David Landrum is also still training and had great success, especially in the 90's

I think Ronnie Spears & Joe Fleming are still active trainers.

Not sure about Steve Aymett or Judy Martin (?)
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: where are they now   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 am

Spears still has a few horses and Joe Fleming has a barn and Steve Aymett is still actively training. Judy Martin is not ,I don't think .
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 am

Jack Kent Cook?
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

Judy works at a bank in Shelbyville. She judges a lot. She is still a "hoot" to be around. I love center ring when she is judging. Never a dull moment!!
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 pm

I have had horses with four trainers; sadly three of these great men have passed on. I can't remember what year C.A. Bobo passed; but think it was sometime in the late '80s or early '90s?? Vic Thompson passed in 1995 and his wife Marilyn passed last year during the Celebration. Larry Webb passed in 2006..he was only 62 years old. I have heard that Jack Johnson is still living but I've not been able to locate him...I believe he is still in NC but I don't think he is still training horses. Each one of these men (and lady) hold a special place in my heart...most of us know that back in those days everyone at the barn seemed to be one big happy family; thanks to the trainer and his family. I have wonderful memories of all of them as they were a part of one of the most enjoyable times of my life...I miss them all very much.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Jack Kent Cooke is CORRECT! bounce He owned a stable full of walking horses in Maryland, I think it was.
He also owned the Washington Redskins at one time.
Back to top Go down
dutch

dutch

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 5:26 pm

What happened to these trainers barns when they passed away? Does anyone still use them for training? Vic Thompson, Joe Webb and Donald Paschal. Is there anything at the old GLL Farms in Collierville?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:03 pm

smitty wrote:
1. Name a dessert at Pope's Cafe named after a popular Country Singer.

2. Who rode Premier Delight in England with Queen Elizabeth present?

3. What former NFL Football team owner also owned a walking horse stable?
Bonus if you can name the football team...

Question

Answers:

1. CHARLIE PRIDE PIE. I don't remember this, but I saw it in an old ad for Popes.
It was kind of like Mississippi Mud Pie, they said. My favorite was the CHESS pie.....like candy in your mouth!

2. DAVID WELSH. Also exhibited for the Queen was a horse called The Pusher, ridden by Allen McQuerry

3. Canadian entrepreneur JACK KENT COOKE.

These were kinda tough, but I thought y'all would nail these down...
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Vic Thompson's barn, outbuildings, house (recently re-done and looks GREAT) are still being used. They all still look pretty much like they always did. The main barn is part of Tan Oak, Jack Heffington's farm name. I don't know who trains there. The barns across the road are used as training barns also. I think one of them is/was the "home away from home" for Golden West Farms from California during the Celebration. One used to be used by Dude Crowder, but I am not sure about that any more either.

Bill Bobo and his family still train at the Bobo Barn. It still looks the same as well.

I often drive out the Franklin Road from Murfreesboro to babysit my Granddaughter. One of the Sam Paschal barns is still there. I keep thinking I will stop one day and make a picture and send it to Smitty. If THOSE walls could talk........
The Paschal barn near MTSU that was the show barn has been torn down and replaced by a playground/track facility.

The place where David Mason trained has been torn down and the land turned into a subdivision, aptly named Blue Ribbon Estates.

Charlie Martin's barn still stands. Not sure what it is used for. It looks like some sort of pleasure horse, maybe quarter horse, barn. It is not in real good shape.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 pm

RW,

How old did you tell me Walt Bruner is?
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I believe Walt will be 82 on July 24th. He's still at the barn everyday.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Is he still riding and showing? I'm trying to figure out if he's the oldest twh trainer ever...
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I'll find out if he's still riding. I don't think he's showing anymore. His granddaughters Brandi Floyd and Apryl McQuerry show a lot as does his great-granddaughter Savannah.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 pm

If he's still training at age 82, then I would THINK he's the oldest living active trainer of all time.....???

Either way, AMAZING!!!...

Shocked
Back to top Go down
dutch

dutch

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 pm

What about Bob Cherry, Bud Seaton, Albert Rowland?
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Bud Seaton rides the white horse at the opening of each Celebration night. I don't think he trains anymore though. Could be wrong. Bud's barn still stands in Milton, TN.

Bob Cherry is on here or was.

Not sure about Albert Lee Rowland.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 6:27 am

I'm not sure how old Bud Dunn was when he died, but he was 81 when he won the WGC on RPM. Slow Rider
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 am

I think Mr. Bud must've been about 83 when he passed or close to it. What about Coy Claxton? Is he still among us and if so is he still connected to the horse business? Also, what about the old Jack Montgomery barn? What is in there now?
Back to top Go down
Black Fantasy 1

Black Fantasy 1

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 am

Don't forget about Don Lominac in Winston-Salem, NC. Don is still training and showing and although I don't think he will admit it, I think he is about 80.

susie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 6   Trivia Archive 6 - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 6
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next