WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!

Go down 
+29
tc1987
barn2648
High Chaparral
Rambler
mhickman
ginger nalli
mlawrence
Santana1
bledsoesl@aol.com
Ken1980
rhinestone
Hill
rwitherington1
Jean
MirallyMeadows
grits
curbchain
deltaboy
BigEd
twhboss
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
Everett
The Man in Black
Old Graymare
senator69
sensation61
Bubbadog
smitty
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:47 pm

I don't think it Setting Sun the back to long for Setting Sun and the horse to big Setting could showed as pony
if they had wanted to. Nobody would push the idea. Don't think it's Hall Hall and Mr. Sam didn't see eye
eye to good. Remeber Lewisburg were Hall tied Doug on Cotton King ??? over Sam on Sun Delight
Ever body was talking about Sun Delights and Couldn't tell you want Doug was ridding.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Good points there Bigdaddy. You might be right on the money.

Hey, can I try one of those cigars? (Deltaboy's stogies are a little on the harsh side.....) Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:51 pm

Big Daddy,
I think Doug Wolaver would have been on Cotton Queens Go Boy, a sorrel horse. Theres 2 different horses in the pictures. Could be Setting Sun & Delight. 1 has on a bridle & 1 a halter. Notice the long shanked unswivelized bits. Big Daddy do you live close to Knox landing in Wartrace?
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:24 pm

I am almost certain LBJ came to Ellington's funeral. Wasn't it at the Lawrence Funeral Home in Chapel Hill? I think I remember seeing pictures in the hallway when my Daddy was there. Could one of those horses be Gov. Ellington's good mare? Wasn't her name Go Boy's Queen Cathy?
Back to top Go down
deltaboy

deltaboy

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:37 pm

I think that's Mr. Ed Carothers holding the horses in the first two pictures.
Back to top Go down
Everett

Everett

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 4:45 am

Deltaboy
You are RIGHT ,A good friend of our's say's that's Mr. Ed C.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ytbtravel.com/gmajorstravel
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 6:53 am

Sounds good to me! Another case SOLVED!
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 9:29 am

Graymare,
You are partly correct, Suns Queen Cathy was the guvs mare & Bob Burris showed her.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 11:09 am

Horses & Riders

Here's a couple of rare old photos of Haynes Peacock & the Colonel. I don't think I've posted these before, but maybe I have (?) Anyway, I'll put them right here for a while and eventually will place them with the Hayne's Haven photos.

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 HaynesPeacock3

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 HaynesPeacock2

(Could this be the first "action shot" of a WGC ever taken???)

Last edited by smitty on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Trivia   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Very well could be.
Back to top Go down
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Thats a walking horse gait?????? are you sure... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:34 pm

There was a time way back when a fox trot was acceptable as a running walk and that's what a lot of horses did. Today you still see it, those head pecking horses that can't ever get out of a flat walk with little to no overstride. Sad to say, but some judges will still tie it.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 7:23 am

Here's some old photos from a rather infamous LIFE magazine article in the 1960s.

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 Series3

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 Series2

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 Series1
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:33 am

Is that Joe U ?
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 am

WHAT'S THE MATTER CHAVE? YOU CAN'T SPELL "URQUHART"?
Back to top Go down
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:00 pm

BDog, you don't cut him no slack now do ya... lol!
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Smitty,
Is the horse Mack K's Rebel? Joe Urquhart owned Midnight Mack K for a while & showed alot of his colts. He was in NC for awhile & then settled between Columbia & Springhill Tn.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Actually, I know nothing about these photos, other than they were part of a negative article run on the TWH back in the sixties. I was able to access the photos, but not the article online. I was hoping someone else knew more about this than I did......

Last edited by smitty on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 pm

grits wrote:
BDog, you don't cut him no slack now do ya... lol!

WE HAVE TO KEEP EACH OTHER ON OUR OLD TOES!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:41 am

Note: Just updated several sections of this topic.

Added 4 photos to Wartrace section:

Wartrace riders in front of Walking Horse Hotel (great photo)
Strolling Jim & Dog
Unknown horse & Goat
Also the 1st photo under the Wartrace Riders heading

Last edited by smitty on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
curbchain

curbchain

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:37 am

Hey Smitty,
I don't think that hoss with the goat is Jim No . That hoss looks like a bay to me and has too much white in its face. The star and snip are connected and the snip is too big. That hoss also has two white back feet, I think Jim only had one. Now I never saw Jim in person, he was a little before my time so I could be wrong on this but I don't think so :scratch: .

BTW, about the Trail Ride pictures. In the first there are four ladies on horses facing the camera and on the far left in the background, you can see the head of a white horse. In the next photo, that white horse appears to be upside down in the ditch and the men are rushing over to it. A few of the riders are looking over that way. Any idea what's happening?
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:12 am

The horse with the goat was not strolling Jim, Jims with the dog. The riders in front of the hotel were returning from a trailride. The four girls facing camera are parked out for a pre trailride show class. The men rushing to aid upside down rider & horse were judges, mebbe Henry Davis. Notice one lady is riding sidesaddle on a regular saddle (2 fenders). Albert Dements house is where Nancy Edwards now lives on Potts farm. The lone old man with riding pants & tall boots on horse on hillside was Scope Carneys dad. I saw a blownup picture of him on Scopes livingroom wall about 20 years ago. He was a doctor. Scope was a friend of mine & managed the barn office with Ike Bull.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:30 am

Only info I have on the fallen horse shot:

"Miss Martha Lynn Griffith and a fallen horse. Miss Mabel Blackman on the horse to the left; Miss Vera Walker, Mrs. John Sloan of Nashville, and Frances Connell. Made in front of a hotel in Wartrace, Tennessee."

You are correct about the goat shot. Horse is unknown.

"Cisco the goat and his friend, a horse (Mr. Henry Davis' farm in Wartrace, Tenn.?)."
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:13 am

The Sloan Lady's family is active in the Iroquois steeplechase in Nashville. One of them has owned & ridden more than one winner, if I'm not mistaken. Vera Walker might have been Fred or JC Walkers daughter or their sister.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:58 am

I'm pretty sure Vera Walker married a horseman from Ms, Phil Pointer or George Booth & one or both judged the Cel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!   The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia! - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

The BEST of Walking Horse Trivia!
Page 9 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next