WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories

Go down 
+18
Corky
Jean
twhboss
Hill
MirallyMeadows
grits
curbchain
scooter
Rambler
Old Graymare
senator69
sensation61
Bubbadog
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
rwitherington1
The Man in Black
smitty
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Hill

Hill

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm thinking like 1966; 1967;1968????
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Smitty,

When do they usually have the Jr. League Show? Could it have possibly been during the great April 3, 1974 tornado?
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:03 pm

I did not own Hill in 1974...I don't believe. I think we sold him in '73 or possibly early '74. I also remember seeing My-My win the Championship. She was one more beautiful mare. This would have had to been 1968 or before' because she did not show there again after that per my research.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Yep, that sounds like the Jr. League alright. The Jr. League takes place in July.......not really tornado season, but possible. I knew Midnight Sun and several other top horses from Tennessee showed up there at one time, but I never knew exactly when they quit offering walking classes. I have also never seen any show results from this show with walking classes. Never knew Charlie came up for it either.
IT'S TRUE...you learn something every day on WHT !!!

Hill, I live about 20 minutes from that track.
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:01 pm

When I showed Arabians; we came to Lexington for a big show in 1984. I remember Patrick Swayze was there...now isn't that something to remember Razz My uncle was co-owner with the stallion we owned and he came too. He took us out to a marvelous restaurant...seems like it was The Plantation House??? Does that sound right? One; if not. the best restaurant I ever visited!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Hill, I'm not really sure. There used to be a nice place called The New Orleans House. There has always been some nice restaurants in Lexington, but I rarely eat at the fancy ones. Red Lobster is about as fancy as I get !!!
The best restaurants I've ever experienced were in New Orleans, Chicago, Charleston and Tampa.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 6:57 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 BandoleroRenaeAllen

Old friend of mine, Renae Allen (Dauer) and Bandolero! shown here winning the Juvenile Show Pleasure World Championship back in the early 70's.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 CincinnatiShowResults
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:22 am

Issit David Haird up air in em Checkid britches?
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 7:37 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 MyLadyMajorJoyceDatson

My Lady Major & Joyce Datsun from Shelbyville, Ky. One of the better mares to ever come out of the Bluegrass State, she was trained by Bob McQuerry and was a Reserve WC in the Ladies class one year.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:28 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 ClaudeBrownDeath
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 6:43 pm

1969 Jr. League Horse Show Results

smitty wrote:
Hill,

I found the show results of the Lexington, Ky show where you showed and won with Hill's Perfection. Strangely, it does not call the show "The Junior League", but the dates are around the 4th of July, and there were only 5 or 6 walking classes, so I think it may have well been the Jr. League show. Wallace Brandon won the Walking Stake class on Sensational Shadow. This may have been the best small bunch of walking horses ever shown at a large gaited horse show, offering just a few walking classes.

I'll try to scan the results and post them here when I get a chance.

Well, I was wrong. Go Boy's Black Angel defeated Sensational Shadow to win the Stake at what MUST be the Jr. League since it is listed as a 7-day show. Interesting that such a small, but talanted group of horses made the trip up for this show, with almost no competition from Ky horses, who may have been at the Owingsville show that same weekend. (?) My how times have changed.

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 LexKyShowResults
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Ah-1
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 69OwingsvilleKyShowResults
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:58 am

[img]Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 RussellvilleKYbarn[/img]

Does anybody recognize this barn? A friend of mine is leasing it. It is located off Highway 79 in Russelville,KY. One of the locals told her Mud Slide Slim was either raised or trained here. The previous owners name is Justice Wright. She is renovating the stalls inside one by one as she has time and money. She would love to hear some stories!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:51 am

Boss,

I really don't know, but I am doubting he was raised or trained there, although it is possible he may have spent some time there in his later years. (could be a "rural myth"?) It seems to me that Mud Slide had previous owners from Alabama (Martin) before the Woods from Russellville bought him. I only remember Mud being trained by Sam Caldwell & Billy & Tim Gray in Tennessee, although there may have been others. Maybe someone else will know more.................???
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 5:33 pm

[img]Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Gwensbarnbeforebushhogging[/img]

[img]Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Insideofgwensbarn[/img]

[img]Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Nameplategwensbarn[/img]

[img]Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Weightedbellboots[/img]

Here are some more pictures of that barn. geek
Back to top Go down
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Didnt Red Stirickland own Mud Slide at one time? Still getting ready for dads auction the 24th, so with that and all the other chores have not been on here much. But try to check in every day.
Back to top Go down
http://LEESMINIMART.synthasite.com
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Mud Slide Slim could have very well been trained early in His career at the above barn?
This barn reminds me alot of Larry Webbs old barn at Deason in Bedford Co. Tn., near Shelbyville. The above barn looks like that it has gone unused for a long time & if it could talk, could tell some history. Today I passed by the Anderson barn, where Threats Supreme, Ebs Black Diamond, Ebs Black Charger & Threats Black Power were started & or trained, part of it is in shambles. I saw a very aged small black male horse of some kind, standing near the road, very likely one of Diamonds full brothers.
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm

From the nameplate, Beam's Sunny Boy, foaled in 1974, was owned by a Jim & Robin Gray and sold in 1984 to Kelly Jones in GA. Gwen was told the barn hadn't been used in a very long time. They went in and bushhogged the pastures and are replacing barbed wire fencing with electric. They have 3 stalls done and are slowly working on the rest. They have moved their Pasos there and as they finish stalls will move some of their walkers there. There was all kinds of odds and ends left in the barn, including "fixin's" and different liniments, an old exercise wheel in one part of the barn. She feels quite blessed to have found the place and given the opportunity to lease and revive it.
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:02 pm

I remember the name, but don't remember a lot about him. Frankie Jo and Billie Shelton would probably remember him. The barn looks like it's well built. I bet it looked great back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:17 pm

I just sent Frankie a message to check this out for you.
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Thank you! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

This is what Frankie had to say - - -

I cant see pics or post anything on there, but what I can gather, here are some answers to some of the ??? they asked.

Justice Wright had a barn in Russellville probably late 60's early 70. He had 2 children that showed, Susie and Gary. Susie had a pony named Susie's Rooster. Two trainers I remember there were Percy Adams and Darrell Driver.

The Woods family that owned Mud Slide Slim were also from Russelville but they started out having horses with Ronal Young when he was in Franklin KY.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 7:45 am

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 EbonysRebelYellTerriRayburn

Ebony's Rebel Yell & Terri Rayburn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories
Page 7 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next