WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.

Go down 
+25
Mister
carol edwards
rooster
samara_farms
Ritz-A-Roo
scooter
Hill
rhinestone
Rambler
curbchain
Jean
Horsegurl1
MirallyMeadows
Old Graymare
Black Fantasy 1
senator69
The Man in Black
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
sensation61
Bubbadog
Everett
grits
twhboss
smitty
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
smitty
Admin
smitty

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. Empty
PostSubject: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Most of us on here are former or current exhibitors/trainers of performance horses, however, many of us have done our share of trail and pleasure riding back in the day. We also have a few members who currently ride pleasure and trail horses (Grits, Onehotmare, twhboss and perhaps others). I made this topic for those of you who wish to discuss topics related to non-performance horses. Perhaps this will attract some new members as well. We certainly don't want to leave anyone out here, and the pleasure horse is certainly a vital part of the industry and an important part of the history of the breed.

So start posting!
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:26 pm

I'll start the ball rolling by posting this old photo. This has been posted before, but many of you probably haven't seen it. This is ME...........as a young lad preparing for a trail ride in southern kentucky, not far from Cumberland Falls. It was taken in the early 70's as you probably can tell from my groovy hair do and the cars in the picture. I'm getting an old strawberry roan ready for the ride. That's my mom in the back part of the photo. Back then, most of the rural roads were still gravel and ideal for riding long distances. A truck always followed us, with the bed filled with ice and enough "cold pop" for over 100 people.

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. TimonTrailRide
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:37 pm

Groovy! :afro:
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:47 pm

Smitty,
If I want to post a picture, how do I do that? Question
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:59 pm

You are probably better off e-mailing it to me for posting.

Although everyone CAN post their own photos, you MUST be able to size the photo correctly and have an account on Photobucket or a similar site. Photos must be uploaded to that account and then linked to this board by copying and pasting a "image code" link for each photo. Not all that difficult, but most people don't have the knowledge to resize their own photos. All photos must be no wider than 9.5 inches and must have a resolution of 72 dpi.

If anyone wants to try all that, then be my guest, but otherwise you are better off e-mailing them to me. I'd be glad to post them for you.
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:03 pm

I have lots of knowledge but no patience for that! Very Happy If it ain't cut and paste, I ain't doing it!
I will be emailing pictures to you!!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:14 pm

Here they are! A little small, but I blew them up some. I'll let you narrate Boss.....

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. Beebop
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Awww....thanks Smitty....I knew I should have sent them a little bigger!
Anyway.....the black horse in the middle (or the black backside in the middle) is Stormy's Black Bandit aka Boss/Beebop or as my trainer affectionately called him "Not For Sale". He was my trail horse and my trail racking show horse. We had alot of fun and won many blue ribbons together. About once a year, he would use me as a human frisbee (because God knows that blue bucket wasn't in that exact spot yesterday, a horse monster must have moved it). I loved him anyway and miss him alot!

As you can see he hated to be cross tied and could slip his halter no matter how they rigged it!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:21 pm

Some nice lookin stock, Boss. I'm interested in knowing who is on the poster in the background.

Is that "Vanilla Ice" ?
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:35 pm

Nawww.....that's Dale Jr!!!! Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 10:39 am

Nice pics, guys. Cool

Makes me jealous; I can't wait until I feel safe taking Indy out on the trails. He has done it before, but I haven't wanted to push him yet; too much "new" lately. He's been moved around several times (seems to have had 4 owners over the past 4 years), new barn, etc. I didn't used to be timid, but I did have a QH mare who tossed me pretty bad and ever since then, I'm not as willing to take chances as I was as a kid. I remember a horse tearing around the arena trying to unload me, the instructors freaking out, and me just yelling "It's ok. I'm fine!" lol! Guess I'm getting OLD! affraid

I would love to look at more of your pics of you and your horses-both show and pleasure. I'll see if I can find something sort of related to post....

Ok, so this isn't really related to riding, but I think this would definitely fall under "pleasure." Here's Indy enjoying his first bloody mary, and the next was him protesting when Mike (owner of barn) took it back.
Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. Horsesmedev9-1-08130-1Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. Horsesmedev9-1-08123-1
Here are a few I took of Indy and my dad showing what a people-oriented horse he is. He always chooses people over other horses-there's no "catching" Indy; he runs to the fence and shoves his head in the halter. He'll follow you around loose all day long like a puppy.
Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. IndyDadkennel021-1-1Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. IndyDadkennel014-1-1Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. IndyDadkennel002-1

Ok, now it's someone else's turn. I may have gotten carried away. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Indy's Mom,

Thanks for posting the photos. You did a fine job and are obviously more of a "techie" than most on here. Your love and enjoyment of your horse is something we all relate to, and brings back great memories. We have a lot of diversity here, as far as what our horse backgrounds and experience are, but I think that diversity is a great thing! You are right, by the way............we are a GREAT BUNCH!

I've been wanting to write a piece on the BEST places to TRAIL RIDE in the United States. Although I haven't trail rode in years, I've traveled to some places that I think are truly special places to ride. I'm still in the research stage right now, but I will post the article with photos when I finish it.

I wonder where GRITS is??? She would love this topic. I'll have to e-mail her and wake her up.....
Back to top Go down
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Smitty I'm here, just still working 55 hours a week and taking care of aging parents. I should go into nurseing. As you all know my Dad had surgery on a Monday and is doing great, the following Monday just after lunch at work my Mom passed out at work, she is 74. We called E.M.S, she was in the hospital for 4 days the only thing they could find was elevated blood pressure, she came home this past Thursday and on Friday my husband came home sick with a sinus infection that put him out for 4 days. Me... shoot, I'm still plugging along... :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Everett

Everett

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Grits Good luck and i hope all the family gets well soon
Back to top Go down
http://www.ytbtravel.com/gmajorstravel
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Indy's Mom, I too have a QH mare but converted to TWH's. I will never go back, I wish I could sell the mare but the market is so bad. I love the goofyness of my walkers. Gen's Fairplay aka Squirrly has mental problems but I wouldn't take a million dollars for him, he is an ex padded show horse that is a dream to ride. Jamican Joe aka Joey Boots, is a flat shod pleasure horse when you go in the pasture with him be rest assured he will steal anything you put down and you will leave with horsey drool in your hair. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Thank you E, It's just my turn in the hot seat but it will all be ok. oh yeah I also found out that my son his wife and my grandson will be moving back from Seattle in January and coming to live with me until they get established... lol!
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Whew Grits! Hang in there! I had asked you on another thread if things were okay. I reckon I got my answer! Life can put us to the test sometimes, but I bet you come out smelling rosy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 10:16 am

Hi Grits,

Yes, the goofiness does seem to be a Walker trait. Indy was also a padded show horse in the past. I actually found his show records from when he was 2 & 3 online on The Walking Horse Report. It would've been nice to know what he was up front, but oh well. Like you, I'd never sell him. Hope your family situation improves SOON!
Back to top Go down
grits

grits

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks Guys for the words of encourgement, I keep telling myself, this too shall come to pass...
Bubbadog, when is Jimmy Blackwell gonna get on here so I can aggravate him?
Last night I ask my husband if he thought Santa could bring me Clinton Anderson's gaited horse dvd's and a BIG screen T.V. He said he didn't know if it would be possible this year. Then he said, Y'all get this... "He could understand the dvd's but we have a perfectly good T.V why did I want another one"... I said to him, " what good would the dvd's do the horses without a T.V. for the horses to watch them on!!! MEN, sometimes they just don't get it... :confused:
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:43 pm

GRITS I have been pestering Jimmy for the last couple of months to get on here but he is having a hard time thinking up a "handle" - that is a lousy excuse! we all ought to just call him Chavous - that's what I have always called him. He is one of the funniest people in the world. He's been right busy lately with horses - doing some judging. I think that he's in Murfreesboro this weekend at the NWHA show. I'll keep pestering him - he's good for entertainment value!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Welcome, Indy's Mom.

Have any of you ever been trail riding in North Carolina at the Vanderbilt House ?
It is truly a breathtaking ride. Some of the most beautiful trails and the big house is not bad either.
It is truly one of my favorite places to go. The winery is also a great place to tour.
http://www.biltmore.com/
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 7:19 pm

I've been to Biltmore and the winery, but I didn't realize they had horse trails there. I know the French Broad River runs through there as well. I am an avid recreational kayaker and I'd love to paddle it. Asheville is such a neat place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Smitty, the trails are beautiful. As you exit Biltmore you can see the trails and barn area.
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Smitty,
Remember the trail ride in the mountains I mentioned, where my husband's horse tried to drown me in the river?
I found this picture of him, and this may be why............ I'm thinking he didn't like the hat much! geek

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. Bandit13
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 8:30 am

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. PJrearing

Here's a photo of PJ, a Tennessee Walker owned by Robert Niepert. PJ is ridden in Civil War Reenactments in the state of Florida. Here's a link to his page:

http://www.floridareenactorsonline.com/Personal.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.
Page 1 of 27Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WHT Chat :: Walking Horse Trivia Board :: The Barn Office-
Jump to: