WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.

Go down 
+25
Mister
carol edwards
rooster
samara_farms
Ritz-A-Roo
scooter
Hill
rhinestone
Rambler
curbchain
Jean
Horsegurl1
MirallyMeadows
Old Graymare
Black Fantasy 1
senator69
The Man in Black
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
sensation61
Bubbadog
Everett
grits
twhboss
smitty
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 am

Pickett State Park is about 8-10 miles from where I am now.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:34 am

MIB,

Are you down towards Jamestown? I haven't been down that way in a while, but I have trekked all over that country down in there, hiking, camping fishing. Love it!
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: Pleasure,trail,versatility   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:02 pm

That is some pretty country up there.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:07 pm

I am on the Pickett State Park side of Jim Town.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Very nice pictures & place, but I wouldn't trailride on a flat saddle & in shorts. I have ridden out of Eastfork stables in Fentress Co. a couple of times. Those folks know how to feed you.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:34 pm

My favorite trail saddle is a Buena Vista. If I went back to trail riding, this is the saddle I would use. Nice wide, soft seat, (no horn to "rack" yourself on).......perfect for those who tend to "go a little wide behind". Wink
Have any of yall ever tried one of these?

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 BuenaVistasaddle
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Nice saddle! My friend, Barbara has a Buena Vista and I have tried it. Very comfortable although I like a little more saddle when on the trail. I am riding in a Tucker Endurance right now.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 pm

I like the cantle, seat, pommel, fenders & nothing else about the saddle. I don't like english/metal stirrups, straps outside the fenders & I wouldn't have a saddle with a buckle on girth, plus a breaststrap is a must when climbing hills. The high seat in back would keep you in if a horse lunged with ya though.
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:42 pm

I've ridden many a mile in Buena Vistas and McClellans - I much preferred the BV.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Then there's my own creation..............The Thompson Ride-Rite.................... Rolling Eyes

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 TheThompsonRide-Rite
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:19 pm

Ouch!
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:17 pm

TWHBOSS....I have the Tucker, Cheyenne Frontier...and love it.

MIB...I ordered one of those HUGE, Nat Geographic ...Big South Fork maps. Now, if I ever get there...where do I begin Question This map is GPS compatible and I may need one.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Smitty,
I bleeve that alot of these young trainers have a saddle like yorn, least they ride like it!
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 9:09 am

OHM, Hard to say where to begin there are so many trails around here. I will try and find out the best ones and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 am

I think I can help out here, at least a little. Even though I've never ridden there, I've hiked over most of it and know where access points are and lodging/camping spots are located. I can't really give any trail info though, you'll have to research that. First, here's a map that might help:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/national_parks/big_south_fork_park97.pdf

Next, where you decide to ride depends largely on what TYPE of riding you want to do (long ride, short ride, fairly level, steep or mixed trails or lowland gravel roads), where you are STAYING (motel, campground or dude ranch), whether you take your OWN horses or RENT them. Lots of factors here, and The Big South Fork is a BIG place and when you consider there is much riding in areas outside of the Big South Fork it makes the options even wider. This is the best place in the South to ride, hands down.

If you are staying in a motel, your options are: Jamestown, TN, Oneida, TN and Whitley City or Stearns, KY. Overall, I think Oneida offers the best lodging, restaurants and closest access to the Big South Fork NRRA.

If you have a motor home, you have quite a few options: The Bandy Creek Campground in the center of the park is a good option, Another great option is the Station Camp Horse Camp near Oneida. In Ky, there is Bear Creek Horse Camp, near Stearns and also Bell Farm Horse Camp fairly near Whitley City, quite remote but also quite beautiful and easy riding. Pickett State Park may also be an option.

If you are going the "Dude Ranch" route, I believe MOST of them are on highway 297 (Leatherwood Ford Rd) between Oneida and the Jamestown area.

Best Trail Access Points: Bandy Creek is the most central and offers lots of trail options. Station Camp is another good one and offers lots of variety it appears, also a little more remote. Bear Creek offers some great views and Bell Camp offers gravel road riding along a pristine trout stream along with some trails as well. I'm sure there are MANY others, but those are some of the main ones.

I'm sure there are many more resources on the net you could check out. You might try the link I listed above on trail riding in Tennessee.

BRING ME A WELL-BROKE SMOOTH RIDIN HORSE AND I"LL GO WITH YOUN'SES!!!!!
:cyclops:
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks MIB & SMITTY. I can bring Smitty a well broke hoss, it's just planning the trip.
My trailer doesn't have a fancy living qtrs, so I may need a room and safe stalls. I worry more about the horses than myself. Depends how long I can stay, and ONE night may be the max. Several have told me the Laurel Fork cabins and barn are nice, but limited availability.

Smitty...Our luck, a major storm will hit. No These horses are legged up, will go anywhere you point them...so we can ride the scenic trails.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:24 pm

OHM, I am told that Wilderness Resort is a good place to stay. Bandy Creek as Smitty mentioned is a good access point, as is East Fork.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:27 pm

OHM,
Eastfork stables, Allardt Tn, very close to Jamestown host some very good weekend trailrides & feed 3 very good meals a day. They have good facilities for horses & you can rent cabins too. They have guided rides or you can go out on your own. They should have a website.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 pm

I love a parade....

Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Smitty,
Thanks for posting the clips, theres also some good footage at the bottom, just watch this & more will be offered at bottom.
Back to top Go down
ONEHOTMARE

ONEHOTMARE

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Several familiar faces in the Woodbury video. Rode many miles over the yrs, with alot of 'em.
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 pm

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 017

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 014-1

Doesn't my girl look good?! They did a great job with her and took really good care of her!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 3:02 pm

She looks healthy Boss! Nice & round!
Back to top Go down
twhboss

twhboss

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Yep...she sure wasn't underfed! Very Happy She is muscled up and has great stamina, too, though! cheers
Back to top Go down
Everett

Everett

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Nice looking stock there Boss, i can see why you are proud cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.ytbtravel.com/gmajorstravel
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.   Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleasure, Trail, Versatility, etc.
Page 4 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WHT Chat :: Walking Horse Trivia Board :: The Barn Office-
Jump to: