WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia

Go down 
+34
Steppin and Fetchin
twhboss
The Stats Man
Black Fantasy 1
dbarnett
rooster
dutch
Razor
Coco
Floyd
MirallyMeadows
strolling10
Bubbadog
curbchain
tc1987
carol edwards
ONEHOTMARE
samara_farms
Old Graymare
Jean
rwitherington1
CKBAAuctioneer
maskr8ng
BigEd
Hill
senator69
sensation61
barn2648
twhemt
Mister
scooter
smitty
The Man in Black
sowega
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 am

I would think Wilson's Allen would be on most. I do recall a lady from Indiania, I think, that had horses from the Last Chance line that didn't have any Wilson's Allen blood and I am sure there are some more out there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:03 pm

I enjoyed Mrs. Howe's site also Sowega...many interesting and informative articles. So much of what has been said I agree with...MIB; I've known you a long time and know that you know the TWH as well as anyone out there so I totally trust your opinion. I am only going by what I have seen on videos but I can see the gait has changed. I am anxious to see some horses in the flesh but I am afraid I will walk away with the same opinion that Smitty did after the Columbia show...and I hate that because I SO loved that big and bold "walking all over" TWH of my day. On a good note though; it is nice to know that there are still some horses that are "walking"...even in the "big lick" classes and it seems that one will especially find this to be true in the light or flat shod TWH.
Back to top Go down
BigEd

BigEd

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Here is a quote from an old time trainer. IF a horse is truely walking, he WILL shake his head. BUT just because he is shaking his head does not automatically mean he is walking.

Is it any wonder why nobody seems to know what's real and what isn't. It would seem that if a judge likes the way a particuliar horse is going, that becomes the standard, at least for that moment.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm

Several horses could be; Wilson's Allen being the most likely. I cannot validate this, but in last month's issue of Walking Horse Journal there is an article by Allanna Lea Jackson that states:

"In 2011 Midnight Sun 410751 is listed in the reported ancestry 99% of living TWHBEA registered horses, not 100% as was erroneously claimed 15 years ago. Merry Boy 350189 now appears in the official lineage of 99.9% of living TWHBEA registered horses."
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I find it difficult to believe that Merry Boy is in the lineage of more horses than Wilson's Allen. I don't think Triple Threat, Ace's Sensation, Sun's Delight, B. Major Wilson or Setting Sun carried any Merry Boy blood and they accounted for an awful lot of horses. Merry Go Boy and Go Boy's Shadow are the only WGC stallions I can think of that didn't carry Wilson's Allen blood.
Back to top Go down
Mister

Mister

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I've always preferred a timed-up, head-shakin, reachin, scissor-walkin haint.
When I see that, well I tell ya, I get more excited than Herbert Hoover trying on a new girdle !
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:37 pm

I would like to do a more in depth study of Wilson's Allen. Smitty; I am sure you have posted a picture of him in the past but I can't remember when so not sure how to find it. Does anyone know of any good articles or books I that would help me learn more about this great stallion?
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Hill, There is quite a lot of info on him in The Echo Of Hoofbeats.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Hill,

Walker's West has a nice Wilson Allen Page with lots of info:

http://walkinghorsetrivia.blogspot.com/2011/05/blog-post.html

Oddly, I have only seen a few photos of Wilson Allen. I have none that are of any good quality.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 am

Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the info guys; I will check these sources. I used to own a copy of "Echo of Hoofbeats" but I am afraid it is packed away so deep that I can't find it without tearing my mother's basement apart. Maybe the local library will have it?? I am sure I can find a copy as it is a popular book with all those who love the TWH.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Here's the only halfway decent photo I have of Wilson's Allen:

Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 WilsonsAllen1
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:50 am

Has a Juvenile 11 & Under Champion ever shown back in the Juvenile Championship with the older kids, cantered and got a top ribbon?

Question
Back to top Go down
Hill

Hill

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:21 am

I know that one did in the 12 yr old and under Juvenile class in 1966; but not sure about the 11 yr old and under?? Placed second in the preliminary class and was Reserve Champion. That was the first year that I showed Hill's Perfection..and we always cantered. What year did the age change from 12 to 11 years of age for the youngest juvenile division?

And..Thank You for the photo of Wilson's Allen!! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm thinking it might very well have been Shaker's Glory and our new member Christie King a.k.a. Auctioneer. (?)
Seems I recall her showing back in the juvenile championship and making a simply scintillating show.
I could be wrong about that though. We'll see what she has to say about that...

Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 ShakersGloryChristieKing
Shaker's Glory & Christie King
Back to top Go down
maskr8ng

maskr8ng

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Christie!!!

Girl, I've wondered what happened to you!! Glad to see you're on WHT with us! Email me and let's catch up...

Dee Dee Miller
maskr8ng@aol.com
Back to top Go down
CKBAAuctioneer

CKBAAuctioneer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:26 pm

How do you guys remember all of this??? In '73, my first time out, it was the 11 and under class. We did canter (as we should) and was able to place 3rd in the Championship. The third place was only because Shaker grabbed the bit from me and headed straight toward one of the judges on the grand stand side. Lord, I've not thought about that in years.... Oh well, 1973 to 1976, I know we cantered and no one placed int the top in the J Championship.
Back to top Go down
http://Www.ckingbenefits.com
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Looks like you were in deep water! Look at all the World Champions in this class:

Juvenile Rider, Mare / Gelding, Championship

1.Rayclif Mid-Merry (Hill's Perfection) - Owner Ross Perot Jr., TX

2.Major's Mary Poppins Owner Jane Hardy, AL

3. Shaker's Glory - Owner Christie King, AL

4. Delight's Star

5. Charming Copy

6. Delight's Red Shadow

7. Dan's Go Boy

8. Go Boy's Black Angel

9, Go Boy's Roan Allen

10. B. Major's Annie
Back to top Go down
CKBAAuctioneer

CKBAAuctioneer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I remember it being TOUGH .....

Why don't they canter anymore? When I won it the first time (1973) understood I was the youngest at the time to do so. Then, when they did away with the canter, I understood a 5 year old won. Trivia, who was it and riding who? Seriously, I don't know... :)
Back to top Go down
http://Www.ckingbenefits.com
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am

So to recap....

Hill's question was "What year did the Juvenile 12 & Under Class change to 11 & Under" ?

Auctioneer's question was "Who was the first to win the class after they did away with the canter"?

Question
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 pm

12 & under was changed to 11 & under in either 1977 or 1978 when the Trainer's Show was in Louisville for the first time. That was my very first show and it was held in Freedom Hall. We had 38 horses in the class.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:56 pm

They had 11 and under in 76, don't know if that was the first year or not. Copy's Hot Pants and Vickie Hughes won one division and Ebony's Super Stroke and Kim Patterson won the other.
Back to top Go down
Mister

Mister

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 8:46 am

For the uninitiated, here's a quick way to tell if a horse is walking vs. pacing (or doing what's known as a stepping-pace). This comes from an old Missouri hoss trainer, who told me this many moons ago.

Look at the horse from the side. Are all four legs moving independently?.....that is, moving at different times?
If so, the horse is most definitely walking. All horses walk the same, no matter what the breed. This is the old 1-2-3-4 beat gait.

Now, if you see two legs moving simultaneously on the same side of the horse, he's pacing for sure, or doing a big stepping pace. A two-beat gait. Sometimes you have to adjust your eyesight to see ALL of the horse to tell what he's a doin. Zoom out a little!

As Big Ed said, whether he is nodding his head or not has very little to do with his actual gait!
I've seen some very good judges fooled on this. Not as easy as it seems.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 9:23 am

How many INCHES high does the AVERAGE TWH stand?

ponder
Back to top Go down
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 2:19 pm

62".or 15.2?
Back to top Go down
http://LEESMINIMART.synthasite.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia   Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk Walking Horse Trivia
Page 2 of 35Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next