WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trivia Archive 5

Go down 
+26
Horsegurl1
Hill
sowega
mona dean
rhinestone
MirallyMeadows
Black Fantasy 1
scooter
rwitherington1
BigEd
curbchain
Jean
grits
sensation61
twhboss
makethecut
Rambler
The Man in Black
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
deltaboy
Old Graymare
Bubbadog
Everett
senator69
smitty
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I bet it would fetch a handsome sum. That gives me an idea, I think I'll look around the barn tomorrow and see if I can't find a shoe that came off Midinght Sun and put it on e bay.
Back to top Go down
Everett

Everett

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:18 pm

If you can't find one of those ,i bet you might find one that came off TURN ON DELIGHT (Delights Constucter)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ytbtravel.com/gmajorstravel
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:40 pm

He was a walking son of a gun wasn't he E. I looked him up on IPEDS and he sired 4 foals and there are still a few horses around with him on their papers. I'd like to find a mare that was kin to him. He and Threat's Cargo were the two best I ever had anything to do with.
Back to top Go down
Everett

Everett

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Yea boy they were both good stock
Turning in , see ya'll tommorrow Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.ytbtravel.com/gmajorstravel
deltaboy

deltaboy

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm

SB,

2. Tom Bowman
4. Lem Motlow
13. Haynes Peacock
18. Murray Farm [WJJM]
21. Harold Wise
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 am

We still heve Hill's Perfections shoes...They are prized possessions.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 pm

C B,
How many career blues did H P win at The Celebration? I'm guessing somewhere around 15.
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm

CB, I've got one of Mr. Sensations shoes as well, it's gold plated, with his record in the middle. Vic got one, Mr. & Mrs. Darby and a groom....have no idea where those three are, have always wondered what happened to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 4:50 pm

MIB, you know I thought it was 14 but you could be right my memory is not what it used to be.

S61, I know yours are prized as well. We buried Mr. Delight as if he had just won a WGC,with his shoes on , horseshoe wreath and blue ribbon. Bill and I shined his shoes , show sheen, braids,everything......
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 5:02 pm

WOW...that's true devotion CB.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 am

CB,

I would like to hear more about some of Charlie's inventions. I know he invented the breast strap, but what are some of the other things he came up with?
I have always been intrigued with C.A. Bobo, as well as Joe Webb.

Those fellas could think "outside the box"..........
Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 10:12 am

I will compile a list for you on his bits. I know of several but will ask Bill for help.
They have been used by many WGC's and yes he did invent the breast strap.

One thing I am sure not many people know...Dr. Lois Hinson came from Washington to our barn for a period of about a week...She and C.A. came up with the ankle bracelet that is currently used as our action device.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Does anyone on here know if Auburn Gray's son and Marrianne Leech's brother, Jimmy Gray, is still living? I know he was a year or so ago and I haven't heard that he passed so I'm assuming he still is. I think he lives around Belvadere.
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:23 pm

I think He's still alive but I haven't heard anything in several years
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 5:03 pm

The Man in Black,
I'm pretty sure that Jimmy is still alive. I think J.T. & Marrianne are having health issues.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 5:35 pm

Sen 61 & S B,
I spoke on the phone with David Oxford summer before last and Jimmy was still around then. I believe David said that he was 91 or 92 then.
On another site, I think WHC they were naming some of the oldest living trainers. Some of them made me laugh, like Huck Moss and David Polk. My guess is that Jimmy Gray may be the oldest Walking Horse trainer still living.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:41 pm

MIB,
About 4 yrs ago, a friend & I went to see Jimmy. We stayed about 2 hrs & had a good talk. He still has all of His old pictures on the walls. He traded his blueribbon magazines in on his wifes funeral bill. He says he could have beat Midnight Sun with White Star for the 45 Wgc, if preacher Hardeman would have let him show her on Sunday. (it must have rained sat night out)
Preach Fleming might be the next oldest living trainer.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 7:05 pm

S B,
I'm pretty sure you mean Maid Of Cotton, not White Star. Maid Of Cotton won the Jr. stake that year. I seem to recall that Dr. Hardeman was a member of a church something like the Primative Babtist or some religion similar to that.
I bought a book from David Oxford that was a copy of one that Jimmy Gray had. It had all of the Celebration winners from 39 to the late 50s or early 60s I think. I sold it at an auction, wish I could get another one.Jimmy had written notes in the margins about some of the horses he had shown. I'll bet he would be interesting to talk to.
I'm sure Preach is getting up there. Jimmy Holloway would be another one of the oldest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 pm

Dr. Hardeman was the same religion that we are, Church of Christ.
Freed-Hardeman University is a a private school and is named for him. They give the trophy in the Preliminary stud class every year.
We have been fortunate to know several Presidents of Freed and they have all been wonderful men
coming to the celebration every year to support the horse that Dr. Hardeman believed in and rode.
Our son, Chris, graduated from Freed and Bill serves on the board there. It is located in west Tennessee just south of Jackson.
Bill has also been asked several times to bring horses there so the students could see the Tennessee Walking Horse that Dr. Hardeman loved.

Last edited by CB on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:31 pm

The Man in Black,
Yes I did mean Maid of Cotton (by Merry Maker). N.B. Hardeman was a Church of Christ Preacher (Jimmy, Emma, his mother, my wife & I are/were members). He & another Preacher founded Freed Hardeman University in Henderson, west Tn. He showed the white mare in amateur classes, plus owned other horses as well. Brother Hardeman once held revivals at the Ryman Auditorium & filled the place up. That was before the Opry was held there. Do Yall remember when they didn't charge for Sunday night Cel. attendance & it didn't start til 8:00?
Back to top Go down
deltaboy

deltaboy

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 am

The last time Jimmy Gray was a topic on here, I mentioned that he had worked for the Franklin County Sherriff's Dept. for many years. I believe he worked mainly with youth programs, but I'm not completely sure about that. I also mentioned that Jimmy Gray & J.H. Crain of Wilson, Ark. were partners on one the best broodmare bands in the business at that time [probably behind only Harlinsdale & Dr. Rodgers]. A friend of mine has a house next to his on Tims Ford Lake. I will ask him about Mr. Gray next time I see him.

When Maid of Cotton left Tennessee, she went to Mr. Roy Harper's Red Oak Stables in Little Rock where she was "Queen of the Barn". I believe Bro. Hardeman judged the Celebration one year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 am

I had forgotten that DB....I believe he did judge the Celebration.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 am

I don't know if anyone on here would be interested but there is a 1949 Harlinsdale Farm calendar with a pic of Midnight Sun and some of his get for sale on e bay right now.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Man n blak,
I don't need it, but thanks for telling us. Deltaboy needs a July 47 Tn W Horse Mag.
Back to top Go down
deltaboy

deltaboy

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 8:44 am

MIB,

I bought the Harlinsdale calendar on e-bay last night. Thanks for the tip.

SB,

Thanks for the plug on the 7/47 TWH Mag. As you know, it's the only one I lack to have a complete set. There's got to be one out there somewhere.

Actually, it is a July 1945 TWH Magazine that I need. Equally hard to find [or more so].

Last edited by deltaboy on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivia Archive 5   Trivia Archive 5 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Trivia Archive 5
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next