WHT Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHT Chat

Tennessee Walking Horse Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories

Go down 
+18
Corky
Jean
twhboss
Hill
MirallyMeadows
grits
curbchain
scooter
Rambler
Old Graymare
senator69
sensation61
Bubbadog
ONEHOTMARE
sadlbum
rwitherington1
The Man in Black
smitty
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
sadlbum

sadlbum

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2009 10:33 am

Mordecai Jones favorite saying was "You can't cheat an honest man". Slim Pickens played a tobacco farmer that M Jones (GCS) cheated out of his crop money with a rubber check in a lost wallet. Henry Morgan (Col on Mash) played a sheriff & chased Jones after he stole a load of moonshine. Walter Matthau played another sheriff.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 pm

I love that movie. The court house in Richmond was also in it. Anybody remember what Mordecai's title MBSCSDD stood for?
Back to top Go down
Bubbadog

Bubbadog

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:22 pm

I have never seen this movie - I'm fixing to NETFLIX.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 pm

There is also a fine chase scene in it.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Bubbadog, I'm not sure The Flim Flam Man is available on DVD, but it is out there on VHS. For some reason, you rarely see this movie on tv, but it appears to be pretty darn good. Here's a sneak preview:

Back to top Go down
https://thebarnoffice.forumotion.net
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:17 pm

MIB,
That was one of my favorite movies & I have not looked up the meaning to your question, because I remember it. M master, B back, S stabbing, CS CorkScrew, D dirty, D dealing.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Flashback: 1979

Here's a monthy Kentucky column published in The Voice Magazine in May of 1979. Covering the state of Kentucky at that time was Voice Correspondent Deedy Whittamore.

The Make-Up Ring

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 DeedyWhittamore

by Deedy Whittamore

It is never pleasant to report a fire, especially in our industry when it usually means the loss of much-loved animals. The H.E. Powell barn, located in Winchester, Ky was the site of such a tragedy on March 6, at 9:45 p.m. The Powell barn, managed by well-known David and Rebecca Farris, had rented stalls to the public over the past twelve years. When the fire was spotted a neighboring IGA Food Store sent stock boys to assist in saving the horses. Of twenty-five head, eight were lost.
Plans are to rebuild the barn and continue the showing of good horses! Central Ky exhibitors will miss these horses: Shadow's Co-Pilot, a top pony; Bandolero, a previous high point show pleasure horse; Red Pepper, the perfect lead-line mount; horses owned by Paul Merrit and Prater Fisher Jr.; a good owner-amateur horse owned by Velmont Hall; and a walking mare owned by Rick Hall. Also lost in the blaze was a quarter horse filly. The Make-Up Ring wishes Mr. Powell the best of luck as he undertakes the rebuilding process.
Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Perkins and family on their newly purchased Pride's Generator. The current World Champion Two-Year-Old will be campaigned under the Black Gold banner with Gary Edwards continuing at the controls. Black Gold Stables has rapidly become one of the most respected facilities in our industry, and is owned by one of the most gracious couples!
March 3, 1979 was the date of the South Central Area Kentucky Walking Horse Association high point awards banquet. Much fun was shared by all in attendance and the winners are as follows:

Weanling: 1. Ebony's Tijuana, J. Fredrick & Bryson Smith 2. (tie) The Sportscaster, Mr. & Mrs. Jimmie Combs and Go Boy's Delight Son, Mr. & Mrs. Frank Brown
Yearling: 1. Another Ebb, Mr. & Mrs W.R. Doughty 2. Easter Celebration, Mr. & Mrs. Frank Brown
Plantation: 1. Sterling's Mr. Blue, Aircastle Farms 2. Judy's Cool Cat, Denise Lay
Show Pleasure: 1. Setting Sun's Rambler, Aircastle Farms 2. Handshaker, Kenneth Fletcher
Two-Year-Old Filly: 1. Another Ruby, Smith & Bailey 2. Another Shadow, Danny Webb
Two-Year-Old Stallion & Gelding: 1. Mary's Delight Prince, Howard Jones 2. Rose's Design, Grider Stables
Three-Year-Old Open: 1. Panola's 3-T, Glen Fields 2. Mack's Outcast, Herbert Moates
Junior 1. Ebony's Untouchable, Philip Brown 2. Threat's Charlie Brown, Wayne Cardin
Walking Pony: 1. Star's Perfection J., Cindy Smith 2. Major's Tinkerbell, Leigh Ann Stewart
Juvenile: 1. Sun Up's Damn Yankee, Frankie Jo Shelton 2. Sun Up's Debbie, Grant Jones
Ladies Amateur: 1. The Ambassador, Glenda Combs 2. Patent Leather Kid, Paula Forrester
Open Amateur: 1. Sundust Parader, Ralph Johnson 2. Sun Up's Damn Yankee, Joe Shelton
Walking Mares: 1. Heir's Royal Lady, Deberry & Stovall 2. Cloud's Cameo, Bill Franklin
15.2 & Under: 1. The Generator, Darrell Gillon 2. Dandy's Prince Bay, Patty Robertson
Open Stake: 1. Ebb's Eboneser, Gary Cook 2. My Grand Copy, Cindy Handy
Sportsmanship Awards: Juvenile: Frankie Jo Shelton, Lucas, Ky Amateur: Sara Philips, Bowling Green Ky. Professional: Joel Woosley, Bowling Green, Ky.
Cheerleader: Barbara Shelton, Lucas, Ky
Supporter of the Year: Jessie Stovall, Scottsville, Ky
Best Horse Show: Allen County Fair, Show Manager: Mr. & Mrs. Mike Poss, Scottsville, Ky.

Recently, I had the pleasure of visiting the Bill Bailey Stables in Russell Springs, Ky. Owned by Bill and Anne Bailey, this is one of the most popular barns in the Kentucky area. Bill can always be expected to have top horses in top shape! Mr. & Mrs. Powell Potts of Bowling Green, Ky recently purchased the five-year-old gelding Plum Right from Carl McWhorter, with Bill and Danny Littrell of Bowling Green as agents. Mrs. Powell plans to show Plum Right in ladies classes this season. Danny Littrell purchased a two-year-old Pride colt from Jimmy Joe Hackett of Carthage, Tn, and in return, Mr. Hackett purchased a three-year-old mare from Wink Groover. This mare has the looks and ability to become a blue ribbon winner, only one amange many that come from Bill's barn.
While I was visiting, Bill rode a sure nuf nice aged gelding that is for sale. This big, black strokin horse is well broke and would be perfect for amateur or juvenile. If you're in the market, don't miss out on this one.
Besides all the buying and selling, Bill still has time to ride. He anticipates his show ring debut of the 1979 season will probably take place at the Kentucky Spring Jubilee. Good Luck!
What a beautiful way to kick off the season with the Kentucky Walking Horse Ladies Auxiliary Kickoff held March 31, in Nicholasville. Kentuckky! Even though the weather put a "DAMP-er" on the outside, it in no way dampened the spirits of over three hundred horse lovers. Wilda Derickson is president of the Ladies Auxiliary which consists of forty-five enthusiastic ladies. This is only the second year for the auxiliary but by the reception it has received, the ladies will continue to play a major role in the Kentucky area.
Between breaks in the rain, a sneak preview of two-year-olds was held. Nine super walking machines braved the weather: 1. Pride's Easter Parade, Herbert Derickson for Harold Sigman 2. Barren's Mr. Fantastic, Herbert Derickson for H.T. Derickson 3. Ebony's Black Sun, Buddy Dick for R. Brown 4. Pride's Lady Rhythm, Buddy Dick for Kenneth Wainscott 5. Another Red Delight, Billy Young for Ms. Betty Bailey & James R. Smith 6. Midnight's Red Chance, Alonzo Napier for Mr. & Mrs. Hughes Benett 7. Triple Threat Jr.. G.L. , Conrad Long for Gene Lowery 8. Sportin Around, Ronnie Vincent for Drakes Creek Stables 9. Curry's Happy Lady, Mike Thomas for Dan Mullins
Barbeque with all the fixins and cakes, cakes, cakes were certainly enjoyed along with entertainment provided by Vernon Rainwater on guitar and Libb Wilson on piano. Later, a film of the 1978 Celebration was shown and the excitement could be felt in the air. This excitement certainly carried over into the auction of many items donated such as lamps, country hams, tack, tires, a coon dog, stud fees, riding suits, cakes, etc. The auction was well received and much money was made.
Here's a remnder to exhibitors in the Kentucky area to give me a call at 606/987-6218 if there is a horse sold, a new horse to enter your barn, or you would like to gab about horses in general. I would like to hear from you and to include you and yours in this column. Until then...............Good Luck in the Makeup Ring!

Last edited by smitty on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sensation61

sensation61

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Written by a VERY great friend of mine...even spells her name like mine.
Back to top Go down
The Man in Black

The Man in Black

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:12 pm

You got it S B cheers
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 8:06 am

Here's another old photo from the 70's sent in by Autumn:

Autumn said.....
"The pic of Falcon's T-Bird was from the Carroll Co, KY Fair in probably 77 or 78. I won the Juvenile class and Sharon Ping showed him back that night and won the stake class."

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 FalconsTBird-1stshowhorse
Falcon's T-Bird & Jennifer Bingham
Back to top Go down
senator69

senator69

PostSubject: ky.Trivia   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Very neat pic.Autumn,you were stylin and profilin back then just like you do today.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 BeenesPerfection
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 GoBoysTripleThreatstudshot

One of my favorite Ky horses was Go Boy's Triple Threat who won won many stake classes up here with Debbie Fields riding. Had great success at the Celebration as well winning several amateur titles and two 15.2 & under championships, one with Debbie riding and another with Bill Bobo in the saddle. Stood at Harlinsdale Farm after retirement from the show ring and threw some pretty good colts as I recall.

His nickname was "Cockleburr".

Interesting note: Jerry Fields started him and in his show ring debut at Nashville, he threw Jerry off in the ring!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Thats a good lookin horse. I would'nt mind mind havein a few colts out of him my self if he was still alive.
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Ain't nary a place fer a saddle on his back, haf to haf a real CUTBACK on him. Ole JD got carried away wif his tetch up job.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:08 pm

He was short-backed.........but he was a HAINT!
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:48 am

Oh mercy! Now here's a blast from the past....

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 RobinWebbAA1401

Can anyone name this former TWH exhibitor that is now a Ky State Representative and is currently running for a seat in the Ky Senate?
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 pm

That would be Robin Webb? Did I get the last name right? She had a brother that showed too
Back to top Go down
rwitherington1

rwitherington1

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Smitty,

I was looking thru my Louisville medical book today for a Dr. who's last name starts with B. I came across Dr. Barrett Bernard. Do you remember him? He and his brother, who is also a Dr., had horses with either Bill Bailey or Danny Hughes. Seems like they had some really good ones.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes..........that's Robin. I showed in juvenile (oh.....excuse me......YOUTH) classes with her for several years. At that time she was from Grayson, I believe. I don't remember who trained her horses, but it could have been Mose Oppenheimer maybe. She had a decent horse.........seems like he was roan with stockings and a bald face?

Heck, been so long I can't remember. No the Dr. Bernard doesn't ring a bell, RW.
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am

NEWSFLASH: (dit.dit DIT.dit........dit.DIT.DIT.dit.....)

Ky Rep. Robin Webb wins special election for State Senate seat by a VERY narrow margin.
A former walking horse exhibitor is now a Ky State Senator!

http://www.kentucky.com/263/story/909303.html

Note: Robin is not the first Ky State Senator to show Walking Horses. Some of you may remember Senator John "Eck" Rose from Winchester.

(I'm still trying to remember the name of that horse she showed in juvenile classes. I'm now thinking his name may have had the words "Mischief" and possibly "Major" in it. If any of you Ky folks know for sure, please e-mail me at timmbur@gmail.com)
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 9:04 am

1. Name a sanger from Kentucky that had an Achy Braky Heart? BILLY RAY CYRENIUS
2. Name an Olympic & Pro. Hvy Wgt boxing champ from Kentucky that had a friend named Howard? MOHAMMED ALI
3. Name a late childrens type comedian & Shakespearean actor from Kentuk if you know what I mean Vern? JIM VARNEY
4. Name a world famous race horse & breeding stallion that never raced in Kentuk? MAN O WAR
5. Name a border town there, where Tn Miller had a farm (not Hitler)? ADOLPHUS
6. Name a Gal sanger from Kentuk, whose boyfriend was crazy? WYOMING DUDD
7. Name a Kentuk Gov., that was sweet on Phylis George? JOHN Y BROWN sorry bout dat!
8. Name a happy Gospel group that called Madisonville home? HAPPY GOODMANS
9. Supermans hometown near Paducah? MATROPOLIS
10. What does LBL stand for (not a Pres)? LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES

Last edited by sadlbum on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
smitty
Admin
smitty

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 9:06 am

5. Anchorage
Back to top Go down
sadlbum

sadlbum

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 9:08 am

NO!
Back to top Go down
Old Graymare

Old Graymare

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 am

1. Billy Ray Cyrus - who has gained more fame by being the father of Miley Cyrus

2. Mohammed Ali - Cassius Clay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories   Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kentucky, Ohio & Indiana Memories
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next